Stain colors, varnish for '53 Thomboy

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bellbuoys

Stain colors, varnish for '53 Thomboy

Post by Bellbuoys »

I am about to undertake refinishing of a '53 Thomboy. Can anyone recommend filler stains in production today that match the original dark and light wood tones on this boat?
And who has a varnish they have found a o be easier than others to work with? Please include your position on the bristle brush versus foam brush or roller debate.
Thanks for any insights here.
Brad
1938 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1953 Thompson Thomboy
1956 Yellow Jacket Catalina
jcwvfr

Re: Stain colors, varnish for '53 Thomboy

Post by jcwvfr »

I owuld like to know as well. I am working on a 1960 Sea Lancer.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The stains on the 1953 strip-built Thomboy and 1960 Sea Lancer may be different, especially if the Sea Lancer is a Cortland built boat vs. Peshtigo built.

I truly do not know the correct stains for use on the '53 Thomboy. I have used Z-Spar Filler Stain on the lapstrake boats made after 1953. Their "standard mahogany" is as perfect a match I have been able to find for Peshtigo built boats from the late 1950s and into the 1960s. They also have a "brown mahogany" and "red mahogany"

I do not know what to recommend for the blond on the Thomboy.

As for varnish, I prefer Interlux Schooner No. 96 marine spar varnish. Under NO circumstances should anyone use polyurethane on boats.

Andreas
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

I used Alwood primer red w/roller on new deck wood and finished with multiple coats of Nason clear sprayed...matched original 1960 peshtigo colors. Has held up well this summer with severe use on road and water.