1961 stain shade - Sea Lancer

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

a j r

1961 stain shade - Sea Lancer

Post by a j r »

Hi kids,

What have folks used for stain on a 1961 Thompson Bros. (Peshtigo) boat? I am experimenting on a '61 Sea Lancer currently being restored. What have folks used? The Z-Spar Red Mahogany is too red and their Brown Mahogany is too brown. I am currently mixing a 2 to 1 brown to red to see how that looks (on test pieces of course!).

Suggestions appreciated.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

I have used Z -Spar Standard Mahogany #1095 "Filler Stain" exclusively on my 57' Sea Lancer. I'm happy with the color. I don't think it's too red and seems to match what I assume was the original stained wood. Now I will say that the can I have is at least 8 years old. Don't know if that shade is still available.

Joe
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

ref my last post ... just checked the West Marine site, Yes they have the Z Spar "Mahogany" #1095 filer/ stain it's their cat. number 195305. Note that this is not the "red" nor the " brown" mahogany stain ... it's the just right (in my opinion) shade.
Joe
a j r

Post by a j r »

Thanks Joe, I see that particular stain in my West catalog. Maybe I'll experiment with it.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I used Interlux 1579 Red Mahogany filler stain on my 1960 Peshtigo Sea Coaster....

I think I posted previously on this, but I bought that stain, plus Pettit Red and Dark Mahogany (7666 & 7665), and ZSpar... It is hard to believe that I can't find good labeling on the ZSpar can, but I believe it was also red Mahogany.

I did a lot of samples on a piece of Mahogany.... full strength, and a bunch of 50/50 pairings... and then put maybe four coats of Schooner to get a good perspective....

In the end, I felt the Interlux matched almost exactly, to the preserved stain under the steering wheel oval bezel, and also the maybe 6x10" area under the instrument cluster housing...

In the end, I believe it gave me the combination and tone of red/brown that I was looking for. I recall that after the rally, there was at least one fella that commented that he also like the shade...

Good luck...