paint for 61 Johnson

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

a j r

paint for 61 Johnson

Post by a j r »

OK, I need to paint the lower unit and leg of a 1961 Johnson 75 HP outboard motor. The hood is white but the leg and lower unit are a different colour - almost a taupe. Has anyone painted their's? What shade of paint have you used? I'd like to avoid the high cost special paint available form Canada. Is there anything close at an auto parts store such as NAPA, etc...????

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Andreas.. I have a 1961 75.... I removed all of the emblems and repainted several years ago...

The top is Warm White (may be also called Warm Winter OMC 771260)

The area on the hood under the shiny band is French Silver OMC 771275... I have a second can of this labeled OMC System Matched, with a number of 172744.

Also the front door access and the handle on the top of the hood is Fr Silver....

Here are a couple of pics of mine... the picture on the boat makes the Fr Silver slightly darker than it really is.. It is sort of a off white/gray..

a j r

Post by a j r »

Thanks John for the info. I am aware of the two colours and the names. But where can I get the French Silver???? It isn't available thru OMC and their dealers or thru Tempo. They stopped making it in 2001 according to a dealer I visited earlier today.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I got all my paint from Al's Specialty Service, Inc... in Rochester 507-282-5532

They were about $9/can, and I got at least one can around May of 2004...

I was surprised back then, but he said he could still order it. I think it only took four or five days to get in... Maybe you can find out their supplier and have them drop ship it to you.

I just checked and they have a website.

http://alsspecialityserviceinc.rangerde ... lid=141344

If you need to borrow a painted piece to have someone computer match it, just let me know.... or I guess I could spray a sample on a flat piece of metal and mail it to you....

John.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi and thanks again for the info. I have placed an order thru a local marine dealer. According to his computer the French Silver can be obtained still!! I'll beleive when the paint arrives.

I went to a local auto store and found a near perfect match. They quoted me a price of $101.00 for one pint in a can!!!! Plan B is now in action.

President Bush was just here touring the I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapse.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Found the correct French Silver thru a Mercury dealer who ordered it thru OMC (so they said). I asked do you mean Bombardier??? $7.99 a can!

Andreas