Hull Color Questions

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JRPfeff

Hull Color Questions

Post by JRPfeff »

Andreas' article in the latest issue of The Thompson Dockside lists several colors that Thompson offered in the late 50's. He reports that the Lap-Chine models came in:
  • Ice Blue
    Mist Green
    Dusty Rose
    Chartruese
    Salmon
    Lemonade
I'm interested in painting my next boat in a different, but authentic Thompson, color. My questions:

Does lap-chine mean the same thing as lapstrake?

Are these colors shown anywhere in available Thompson literature? I have the catalog CD and have not found them there.

Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

It was only in 1957 that those various colours were offered. And NO they were not pictured in the catalogs.

I have seen an orignal condition Sea Coaster with the mist green tone. It has been shown at the Minocqua, WI classic boat show in years past and was recently displayed at the Antique Outboard Motor Club National Show at Tomahawk. The owner's last name on the display card was "Winter."

The green painted Thompson that was at the Thompson Boat Rally a week ago was NOT the correct shade.

The proper Lemonade Yellow can be obtained from George Kirby Jr. Paint Company at New Bedford, Mass.

Lap Chine was a modified lapstrake hull construction. It had wider planks thus fewer planks and fewer fasteners. It was offered for only a few years and I think only in a 14 footer. It is shown in the catalogs from circa 1957 to 1960 or '61. There was one displayed at the Thompson Boat Rally in past years.

Andreas
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

a j r wrote:It was only in 1957 that those various colours were offered. And NO they were not pictured in the catalogs ...
Thanks for the feedback Andreas.

So it won't be showroom authentic, but there was nothing to stop a Thompson owner in the 1960's from repainting his boat with a different color. And since I don't have a Thompson's palate to choose from, any limits on my options are gone.

Kirby's colors were not offered by the factory on my 1960 boat, but they certainly were available and appropriate for the era. Purists may need to look the other way at Nest Egg's in 2008.

Does Kirby's have a purple? :wink:

Jim
Ron P

Boat Colors!

Post by Ron P »

My parents second boat was a 57 Cruisers inc, 16 ft Seafairer.. It was pink! With a special black shearstrake... When the boat was sold in 1973 the next owner change it to White......
The motor was a Evinrude 1959 Fat 50
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Ron,

I'm still a year away from painting, so hopefully I'll get over it by then.

Jim
Ron P

Post by Ron P »

The pink color was a very light pink. lighter than the swatch of 26 pink. Next time I am at my parents I will find the photo album and post some pictures here.

That would be cool to find another 57 Seafairer and paint it that color.
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
todddressler

1957 Mist Green Paint

Post by todddressler »

Can anyone tell me where I can get a close color match to the Mist Green paint used on my 1957 Sea Coaster?

Thanks
Todd Dressler
Rapid City, SD
a j r

Post by a j r »

Is the No. 3 "Green Tint" on Kirby's pallett (above) close? It is about what I remember on that '57 Sea Coaster I have seen.

Andreas