Lemonade Yellow 63 Sea Lancer

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Charles Drumm

Lemonade Yellow 63 Sea Lancer

Post by Charles Drumm »

I painted my refurbished 63 Sea Lancer Deluxe a number of months ago with Kirby Paint Co., Lemonade Yellow Semi-Gloss. The finish looks very flat next to the new glossy varnished shear and garboards.

What is the opinion of my fellow restorers on semi-gloss vs. gloss finish?? I'm not reluctant to re-paint the hull before I begin mounting all of the re-chromed hardware. Your advise is appreciated.

HNY 2009 Chuck Drumm
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I myself prefer the gloss finish, especially because, as you point out - it looks flat against the gloss of the bright work. Also, the glossier, the easier to keep clean.

One man's inexperienced opinion
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have used gloss on all the boats that I have refinished. This includes Kirby's Lemonade Yellow on several Peshtigo Sea Lancer models.

I like the gloss.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I like the gloss finishes also. Not sure if they had a semi-gloss back in the 50's & 60's in the marine finishes. All I can recall ever using back in those days was gloss. As Andreas says it is easier to clean.

Phill
Charles Drumm

Post by Charles Drumm »

Thanks everyone........Looks like I'll be doing a little more painting.
The feedback is exactly what I was looking for.
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Hi Charles... I prefer semi-gloss... I used Kirby paint on my Seacoaster, and have been very pleased...

I chose it specifically for two reasons... it fit my recollection of the Thompson boats I remember from my youth, but more importantly because I prefered the understated tone to allow the stained and varnished areas to truly stand out. I felt that a glossy white would look like plastic or fiberglass...

I cannot say whether the boats in the 60's were finished with gloss or not. However, a glossy white reminds me of the fiberglass Evinrude boat that we had in the late 60's. I remember polishing and waxing that hull.... using semigloss on the Seacoaster fit my image of a wooden boat a little better.

Just another opinion.

In the sun, it is still semi glossy....