Quantity of paint/stain/varnish CPES ?

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

John, same song and dance for me too. I just found out yesterday that the order was cancelled. I think I am just going to use something different. I hear many great things about that stuff (schooner 96) so I am afraid to try it... I may love it and be just as pissed as everyone else that it is discontinued.

I have pretty much given up the search honestly.

Evan
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Evan.. for what it is worth, when I heard that Schooner Gold was replacing Schooner 96, I called Interlux. Fortunately, the technical person I talked to had experience with both of these, and said that he believed the new formula was better than the old.

However, he said that because it has a little different base with higher solids, it needs to be thinned. (Use 333) (the base is something like HALS... Hindered Amine Light Stable) He believed that I would be really satisfied with it. He believes that the Gold will build up quicker and only require sanding every other coat. I specifically asked him, if he has used both, and he said yes. I got the impression that he did a fair amount of boat work in his personal life.

So, bottom line, when I next need varnish, I will most likely get the Gold, and thin with 333 brushing liquid. I looked around the different marine suppliers and have not been able to find the 96, but will keep my eyes open. I suspect that Interlux 'pulled' the supply back when they withdrew it.

John.
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Great news John. I had heard that the label on the gold specifies that it is to be used from the can.. not thinned. This is apparently not true after reading more online.

The new stuff is more expensive but if you have to cut it with 30% thinner you are obviously getting just as much material for your cash.

Great information, I have been fretting about this quite a bit.

Evan