Paint Job?

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

pcbres12

Paint Job?

Post by pcbres12 »

I am looking to paint the bottom of my thompson a new color. The old color is a Interlux black bottom paint. I want to paint it a new color, but the new one will not be bottom paint, just regular hull paint. If I want to so this, can I paint over the old black with the new color(new color is lauderdale blue)? Or will I have to put on a primer first? If I have to do primer first, can it just be a regular wall primer, or does it have to be marine?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Clean the old paint very well and then scuff it up a bit with Scotch Bright pad or sand paper. Cean again then apply your new paint. No need for primer unless you have bare wood. Then just spot prime.

Never use house products on a boat.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

pcbres12,

My first question would be what type of bottom paint is it? Is it an ablative antifouling paint? If so I would recommend you check with the manufacturer for their recommendation for painting over it with a non-ablative paint.
My concern would be the possiblity of ablative paint not allowing the standard hull paint to adhere properly and you end up with a peeling bottom area. As ablative paints are design to shed off in layers to revel a new surface. As I have not been in your situation with having a boat that has had a "bottom paint" on it, I would find out exactly what is there now and contact the manufacturer or stip it to be safe and then repaint with standard hull paint.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Phill is correct. I didn't think about anti-fouling paint. If that's what is on the boat, you may not be able to paint over it. You may have to remove all the anti-fouling paint in order to paint something anew. Find out what you have and check the manufacturer as Phill suggested.

Andreas
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

When I changed mine from anti-fouling to Interlux Brightside I was told by the dealer and the manufacturer to remove all anti-fouling paint or the Brightside would not adhere. I guess when you think about how anti-fouling paint works, that definitly makes sense.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer