New Interlux Schooner Gold, any good?

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

New Interlux Schooner Gold, any good?

Post by Dan Wolf »

Has anyone tried the new interlux Schooner Gold. Supposed to be better than the old Schooner, which is what I used. I think it was number 96. Anyway met a guy working on his Chris Craft and he said he didn't like it. Although he couldn't really tell me why he didin't like it. I ask because I thought about using it over my current varnish...Dan
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Hi Dan.. I made a post or two about the new Schooner a few months back. I have not used it yet but called Interlux and talked to a guy who has.

They believe it is a better formulation, but you need to thin with 333 Brushing liquid. I suspect that the bulk of the criticisms were placed by folks trying to use it straight, like the old Schooner 96.

I wish they would have kept them both... like old and new Coke.

John.
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

They should explain that better on the can I think. I cut my first coat by 20 % and it laid well second coat cut by 10% and subsequent coats by need due to temp and whatnot. I was refinishing a wood table top and started to varnish full strength What was I thinking!! I looked horrible. Thank god it was just a small table, so I sanded it all off and started again. It was a good learning lesson. Dan