White stripes between wood on topside

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

THE LAKE

White stripes between wood on topside

Post by THE LAKE »

They say the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, so here goes. When I look at a nice old wooden boat and the topside surface wood has white stripes between the wood under the varnish , what am I seeing ? How is this look accomplished.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

That is white caulk between planks. It is very difficult to keep that look when varnishing because the varnish turns the caulk yellow. Many people paint the stripes with white paint.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

And it was NEVER done on a Thompson of Cruisers or T & T or Grady-White. Thompson did not even do it to their strip built hulls that had planked decks, 1956 and earlier.

It is done to planked decks to seal the live seams bewteen planks. If they use, for example 6 inch wide planks, the live seams are every six inches. They must be caulked or water will work its way into the seam. They make a "fake" groove in the middle of the plank and caulk it so that the caulked joints are at 3 inches on center. And yes, they caulk it, varnish it and most folks paint it white afterwards.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

LancerBoy wrote:And it was NEVER done on a Thompson of Cruisers or T & T or Grady-White. Thompson did not even do it to their strip built hulls that had planked decks, 1956 and earlier.

Andreas
Sooner or later I'm going to figure this out and quit asking dumb questions. It's my nature to sit and figure out Plan A, Plan B etc and then go over why one or the other is a good or bad idea. Slowly a solid plan for the restoration of my boat is taking shape thanks to straightforward answers from all of you on my "ideas"

Brian
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Brian,

The Only DUMB question is the one that is not asked.
We have all gone through this and if you do not ask questions how will you know what is the best way to do the restoration.
Some of us grew up with wood boats and working around them and others did not have that privilage.
We are all more then happy to give our opinions on how things should be done and which is the best way to tackle a problem. It is always interesting to see what other people have done or are doing and see how their projects came out.
Keep the questions coming.

Good Luck,

Phill
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Phil
What I've decided I am going to aim for is as close to the pictures in the link below as I am able.

http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/cruisersinc622.html

Brian
89 MACH I MV1900CC
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Brian,

That looks good to me. Have fun and enjoy your boat.

Good Luck,

Phill
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

You know, I wish I'd brought the one hull emblem I have back to California with me. In the back of my mind, I was thinking I should but couldn't seem to flash on the why. Now I have. I have all winter to go buy a piece of 1" - 1-1/2" thick mahogany, trace the outline of the emblem on the piece, cut it out and then trace the lettering on and carve the lettering out of wood. I could do the hardest part of the carving with a roto-zip tool and then finish with a nice set of hand carving tools I have. Sooooooooo, I'm asking if anyone would be willing to trace their Cruiser's Inc Hull emblems for me and mail them to me ? Also the dash emblem if possible. I know this is asking for a lot being a stranger to everyone, but I don't know if anyone's every thought of this and I would gladly play Guinea pig on this project. :D

Brian
89 MACH I MV1900CC