Foam Brush ??

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

Foam Brush ??

Post by JALL »

I picked up some foam brushes at a local store and when I got them home I noticed that they were marked do not use for lacquer or shellac. I'm thinking that they are not good for varnish either. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thank You
richnle

Post by richnle »

I've had great success using foam brushes for varnish, and have never heard of varnish being a problem with any foam brushes. If you are worried about the particular foam brushes you bought, pour a little varnish into a separate container and put the brush in for a while to see if the brush disolves or is in any way affected.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JALL,

Foam brushes will not be effected by the varnish or minerial spirits & turpentine used to thin varnish.

They can how ever disolve in the thinners used for lacquer and shellac.

Good Luck,

Phill
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I used foam brushes this past spring. It turned out great with no issues. It was nice to just throw them out instead of the job of trying to get that expensive varnish brush clean. I would make sure they are quality foam and not the cheap ones. The cheap ones tend to start falling apart after you use them for a while. That makes a mess in a big hurry when you are varnishing. The good ones are only about a buck a piece at any paint or "big box store". Good luck!
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Thomas Mackin

Post by Thomas Mackin »

foam brushes are great but some are of better quality. Most pros use ones made by Jen Manufacturing. I buy them at Ace. A bit more in price but so much better than "save big monies" "Menards"
Big Mac