mahoghany refinishing order

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

GulfCoastThompson

mahoghany refinishing order

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

What is the correct order to refinish mahaghany? I am thinking CPES, then filler stain. Do I seal again after stain and is so with what?
thanks
Ken
Fairhope, AL
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Stain first then CPES. If you do it the other way around you will have problems with stain not absorbing into the wood.
Also be careful when applying CPES over the stain as sometimes it will disturb the stain. Check a small spot to make sure.
Old Salem makes a good sealer but in reality with the CPES I don't know that you need one. Once you start to varnish first few coats should be thinned and eventually you will finish up using the varnish full strength. Most manufactures have the needed instructions on the can.
Hope this helps.
Karl.
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

Thanks Karl, Thats what i thought but on Smiths web site it says to apply the CPES first and then lightly sand?
Ken
Fairhope, AL
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Ken.
I am not a big user of CPES but when I have it has always been to stain first then apply CPES.
Now in the case of painting you would CPES first then apply the paint.
If it is fully cured you will need to scuff it up for best paint adhesion. Some people apply the paint coat with the CPES not fully cured and then you really get a great CPES/paint bond once it is fully cured.
Maybe some one else will post with any additional info.
Karl.