Picked up new free boat today!!!

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Picked up new free boat today!!!

Post by txcaptdan »

Drove 100 miles west of Fort Worth today to retieve a 1965 Cruisers Inc. 16 foot. A recent aquaintence had started restoration on this boat about six years ago and had lost interest. My new best friend just wanted it to go to someone who would finish it and not let his hard work go for naught.

He had dissasembled the interior and windshield then cleaned sanded and applied 6 coats of varnish to interior. He bagged and labeled all parts then flipped her over and refastened all screws and bolts, then fared and added two coats of primer. she is ready for finish faring and final hull paint. And as you can see a new keel cap as well. Wow!!! a hull with all the hard work done!!!

All the seats and bright work from topside is in excellent condition and only needs a fresh coat of varnish. I filled my Tahoe with boxes of chrome, seats, floors, and a 25 hp Johnson to boot. All hardware, gauges, cleets, and controls are there.

Will keep updates coming, she should go back together fairly quickly.

Any suggestions for hull color?

Image[/img]Image
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Nice score!

Verify the year thru the hull ID. In my 1965 Cruisers, Inc. literature the smallest boat they show in a wooden open model is the 20 footer.

In 1964 they still showed the 16'-2" Seafarer model. Standard colour was white for the hull that year. Optional colours were TAN, TIDE GREEN, and FISHERMAN GREY.

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Anderas,
Found hulltag bagged away with other pieces. It is 319480 and I also found a 202 tameplate. I have not yet crawled under hull to check for numbers in transom.
Has opening wooden windshields in the same style as my 1964 570.
I am contemplateing doing this hull in tide green with complementing vinyl.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Probably a 1963 model year boat. And the 202 indicates the "Seafarer"

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Geez - what an incredible score! I'm Tide Green with Envy!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I have not gotten a chance to start on this hull but I did crawl under her and WOW , now I am anxious to get her in the shop and paint her heull so I can flip her.
Here I am ready to haul her home.
Image[/img]
Interior ready for reassembly
Image[/img]
here is the front bench just needs a fresh coat of varnish
I got a whole pile of chrome, windshield parts and all the trimmings!
[/img]Image
Awaiting hull paint
Image[/img]

She came with a Johnson 25, not much of a sking motor, I will probably find something a bit larger. She only awaits some room in my shop. Should be a lot of fun with all the hard work done.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Dan - that is a Fabulous boat - what an incredible find!! It warms my heart to know that is has gone to someone that knows what it is and how to care for it. I know most would disagree with this but, how about a gloss black hull, red bottom, everything inside varnished. Set up a '63 or so Merc 80 hp (these engines were cloud white with the black band). Red Interior cushions. Red restored Merc steel cans. Perfect.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Peter,
A friend of mine did a 18.5' Cruisers hull in Dark Green and every little nick and scratch showed up on it. My sand color is kinda quick to show marks but not that bad. I am considering Tide Green with a silver green vinyl, the original color was blue as per surviving cushions, I haven't ruled out a blue hull either.
I will probably not paint a bottom color but leave hull all one hue.
Dan
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas