1965 Thompson Cruiser? Might buy....

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ehdrian

1965 Thompson Cruiser? Might buy....

Post by Ehdrian »

Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to all this wood boat stuff, but I'm seriously considering a project. I have a few experianced people to help me out.

Is this a Thompson boat? It is 21' 6" - the engine is a 1970's 302 Mercruiser and the seller says it is a 1965 hull. The hull was redone 7 years ago.

Any help would be GREAT.

Thanks!

Bow:
Wheel:
Rot?:
Inside Plank:
Engine:
-=//-\drian Thompson=-
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

This is a Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper 20' inboard. I know because I have just finished a restoration on one. These are great boats with an off shore hull, the last of the big wooden cruisers by Cruisers Inc.

Check out my website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicoutboards/ there are lots of images of my boat during restoration.

Check out restoration section here at Thompson Dockside and look at Seacamper Lake Test, there are several other posts with photos.

This boat is in better shape than mine was, but you need to check condition of ribs at center keelson and also shape of bottom, does it have any sags or concave places? rotten ribs right at center are common and a lot of work to repair.

I am very interested in seat base cabnets, these where an opton in this boat and mine does not have them. I would like to get some photos of them if possible.

Here is a couple shots of Big Fish
ImageImage

Good Luck
Let me know what you do
Dan
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Ehdrian

Post by Ehdrian »

Wow!

That makes me want this boat even more!

There is a good chance I will buy this boat and restore it.... unless it is the head gasket in my thunderbird super coupe that went - or just the water pump.... I'll find out in a couple days. Changing a head gasket on a super coupe can be costly or time consuming.

Thanks again!
-=//-\drian Thompson=-
Ehdrian

Seat base cabinets

Post by Ehdrian »

There is a sink and a propain stove under the front seats. Is this what you mean by seat base cabinets?
-=//-\drian Thompson=-
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Yes the helm and passenger bases were an option, I have copies of factory brochure that show them but not in detail. I would be willing to trade for detailed pics and measurements of them for pics I have.
The laps in your pics seem to be in pretty good shape, is that the worse.
Hogs or distortions in the shape of the bottom are probably the hardest things to repair but not unrepairable.
Dan
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Ehdrian

Bottom of hull

Post by Ehdrian »

I'm going up to see the boat again with an expert to check under the deck and the mechanics, such as the leg. While I'm there I'll snap some more pictures of the seat cabinets. If I buy it, I can give you any number of photos. :D

This is the only other photo I have right now:

Here is a picture of the underside of the boat I took the first time I was there:
-=//-\drian Thompson=-
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome!

I've been to Nanaimo and had some Nanaimo bars. My X was raised on Thetis Island and we visited there several years ago!

Good luck with this cool looking boat. If you obtain it, there are lots of folks here willing to assist you.

Andreas in Minneapolis
Ehdrian

Post by Ehdrian »

Thanks Andreas,

I'm going up to Courtney to have a couple friends, who have owned numerous wooden boats, poke at the keel with a knife and give me an assessment. If there is no significant structural damage, I'll have the boat this week.

The boat might be a great buy: $1,200 for the boat (almost working) engine, a working leg and a hopefully good hull.

I will probably fabricate my own trailer was well. Do you happen to know how much this boat weighs with the engine?

If you ever come this way again, and I have the boat finished, you can look me up for coffee.

Cheers,
-=//-\drian Thompson=-
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hey, I do not have any plans to revisit Vancouver Island, but ya never know. It's a lovely place.

The 1963 Cruisers, Inc. 20 ft. model 1570 Sea Camper with inboard/outboard weighed 2,150 pounds.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Excellent boat - good luck with it if you bring her home.

Dan, under the misc section I just posted a link to a boat for sale on e-bay - I think it may have the helm bases details you mention above.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware