what do i have?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vaneck

what do i have?

Post by vaneck »

I picked up a thompson and i'm trying to figure out exactly what i have.
measurements: width 6'1" length 15'10" circumference 38'3"
the number on the transom is J01501A (the A looks kind of like a triangle)
serial # 17718
75hp max
1350 lbs capacity

Thanks
Eric VanEck
a j r

Post by a j r »

OK, first off, welcome and any relation to Darrell VanEck?

I assume the serial number plate says "Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co., Peshtigo, Wis." If so, the hull ID "J01501A" indicates this is this is the 1,501st boat (of all models) made in the year ending with 0 (1950 or 1960). "J" was the builder and "A" was the trimmer. "A" was Bill Luedtke, who still lives in Peshtigo! So he worked on your boat, doing all the finish work.

The serial number "17718" jives with other 1960 model year boats. The ratings of 75 HP and 1350 pounds capacity also jive with the 1960 Sea Coaster and Thomboy models. Your length and width also conform to the Sea Coaster for 1960.

So...I conclude that you have a 1960 model year Sea Coaster or Thomboy model. The model 473 Sea Coaster Runabout had a front bench seat and a plank seat for the rear seat (NO back rests). The model 475 Sea Coaster Special had back-to back seats that were wood framed - the two rear seats faced backwards. The model 477 Thomboy had decks around the motor well and bewteen the front and rear seats. There was padded upholstery for crash padding around all the cockpits. The deck was white with red mahogany trim.

Andreas
Darrell Van Eck

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Andreas:

I have a different project as you know to work on. My brother and his son's decided to take one project off my hands. This is a real nice boat that some one put a lot of money in transom, and new ribs. He needs to replace the keel, and refinish the boat, which is already stripped.
Darrell Van Eck
vaneck

Post by vaneck »

Thanks for the info. It looks like we have a 475 sea coaster since it has back to back wood framed seats. If i have any more questions, which i'm sure i will, i'll definitely be post them.

And yes, Darrell is my uncle

Thanks again
Eric VanEck