Hull number information

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

floatyourboat

Hull number information

Post by floatyourboat »

I am trying to learn more about my boat: Hull # BX4478J. It was my dad's boat, but we haven't been able to find any original information about it: style name, color, materials, etc. Any information you have would be much appreciated as we are in the process of restoring it. We are also wondering what motor/hp was recommended for use with this boat.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

The number from the transom only will tell us the possible year, whom built it and what number hull that was for that year.

You need to go to "What DO I Have" on this site and get all the info asked for there and submitt it. With the dimensional data we can track back to possibly what model it maybe and from there you can botain more info.

Also you can purchase the Thompson CD ROM from Dragonfly Canoe Works (www.dragonflycanoe.com) and look in there for a picture of the boats from the old Thompson sales booklets from 1907 thru 1997 and compare dimensions, etc. and determine the model you have.

Assuming this is a wood hull from the number you have shown, if this boat was made in Peshtigo, WI the year would be either 1944, 1954 or 1964.

Good Luck!

Phill
a j r

Post by a j r »

Ditto to what Phill said.

Who made the boat and where? This is VERY important. Which company and which location??

Is it wood, fiberglass, rubber? If wooden; is it cedar strip, canvas covered, carvel planked, lapstrake? What length at centerline and gunwale? Tell us about the seating and deck and windshield, etc.

It's not easy to properly identify these babies!

Andreas