1956 Thompson Lapstrake 18'

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Tammy

Post by Tammy »

pictures to follow
Last edited by Tammy on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Tammy

Post by Tammy »

ImageImageImageImage
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

ImageImageImage
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Tammy - I sent you a provate message - go to the Messages button up top.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

Looks like she is in nice conditon. However, you MUST get under the floor boards to investigate the keelson and ribs and planking.

Too bad that radio is smack in the middle of the dashboard. Realy uglies up the boat. The steering wheel is definately not period to the boat.

Is there a serial number on the metal tag on the dash? What is the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat?

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Tammy, looks like a very nice boat for the money. Its pretty easy to get 4-5 K in one of these to get it to that condition. Boat should be setting on bunks and rollers, a lot of old trailers used rollers only. if so then that is one thing you would want to correct ASAP.
Is that caulked looking spot on bottom a hole? If so that can be repaired also.
That looks like a nice galvenized dual axle trailer, and a pretty nice motor.
I would think this is a pretty good price for package.
Water coming in at that rate is not a huge problem, hulls that have been out of the water and garaged usually will take on a little water until swelled. My hulls usually take on a little right at launch and for the first day then swell up tight, buy a good auto bilge pump.
Some hulls are in good enough shape to not take any water but they are the exception.
Unless the keel has a huge hog, inward or outward curve, then most other dents or small depressions can be dealt with.
Seeing that this hull has trim tabs and batteries mounted forward, I would suspect the bow wants to ride high, not an uncommon problem for these hulls with a large engine.
Good Luck
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Dan,
thanks for your reply. Im going back to see it on Sunday. The funny thing is that I was calling around to get storage prices for a couple of weeks and the first guy I spoke with said he has a 1968 sea lancer 18 foot in mint condition for sale! Isnt that funny. He went on raving that his boat is perfect and comes with a beautiful trailer. All for 5500K. The trailer is a 69 Johnson. Ill look at it today but I think Im still leaning towards the 56 Thompson. Its definitely harder to find people to work on wood boats in St. Louis. Apparently theres a Thompson club here but I called information and they have no listing. Anyway, Ive learned a lot in a short amount of time from all of you and I thank you for that. Ill post pictures of the metal tags next week.
Tammy
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Tammy,

Contact me via email if you like at thomp1@mchsi.com and I will put you in contact with a guy from St. Charles who has an early 60's Thompson Sea Mate and is active in both the Antique Outboard group and the Antique and Classic Boats organization. In fact, at Grafton, Il harbor he is heading-up an event June 22-24th on the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers for classic boats.

I am about three hours south of you, but the posts include some people VERY knowledgable about Thompson boat construction, I recommend following their counsel.

If you make your purchase and she is sea worthy, we'd love to have you join us June 8-10th for our Woodies Cruisin' Weeekend on Table Rock Lake at Branson, Missouri. There is more information on that event in the announcements section of this section.

Good luck with your purchase.

John Thompson