1956 Thompson Lapstrake 18'

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Tammy

Post by Tammy »

I know nothing about boats but I love the antique woodys. I found a 1956 Thompson Lapstrake for 3500. The guy said he has restored it. I havent seen it yet but I know he uses it in the river and stores it in a barn. It has a 90HP engine from around 1995. He says its perfect. Should I know anything important before I go look at it? Do you think its a fair price? He said he would take the engine off and take off 1200 dollars. Any suggestions? I will use it on a lake by my house just to tootle around in.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Tammy
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Greetings! Welcome! Look for any obvious rotted wood on or around the transom, the windshield, etc. and any dark stains in the wood. Best for the guys on this site (whom know way more than I), is pictures. A home run would be to have pics of the areas under the floors, but not likley you can get that excpet through any hatches to the bilges. Also, go to the "what do I have" section and get all the info that is listed there you can, such as the length and beam measurements, and these guys can tell you what the model and year really are. BUT, pictures are the best. As for the price, of course that depends on many things, but I paid more for mine than that.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
john

Post by john »

Tammy

We need pictures.

A new 90 hp may be too much power.

What part of the country are you located? There are several wood boat repair facilities in various parts of the country, that could determine condition of boat.

Regardless of condition, it could be a great addition to your fleet. The important thing would be to determine what level of restoration, if any, is needed before purchasing.

I have owned my 1960 wood Cruisers Inc 16 for 4 years, probably one of the finest boats I own.
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Hi all!

Thanks a lot for your replys. I dont have picture yet as its two hours away and I think Ill go see it later this week. Plus the owner doesnt have a computer. The guy that owns it acquired it from another farmer for 900. He cleaned it and put about 6 coats of varnish on the inside. He repainted the sides of the boat white and the bottom is the african mahogany as well as the top of the boat. He took the chrome off the instruments and replaced it with wood that matches the boat. He said it has the windshield that pops open separately on both sides. It has a bench that seats 4 comfortably. The boat is 7 feet wide and 18 feet long. It comes with a trailer with two new tires. It has two batteries, cd player and 90hp engine. He said he would keep the engine and take off another 1200. He has put it in the river 4 times since he has owned the boat. He stores it in a barn and he proclaims its perfect! It doesnt have a canopy so Ill have to find one but he redid the bench in red vinyl.
Thats all I know. I will be using it for a lake to maybe ski with or just tootle around in. Can I store it next to the house as long as its covered and on a trailer? Sorry guys this is my second day learning about boats.

Thanks for your time,
Tammy
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

I forgot to tell you I live in Missouri. The boat is described as a 1956 Thompson Lapstrake offshore runabout.

Thanks much!
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Am I the only one that lives on the East Coast? I too am a total rookie (glad to have some company). I bought mine in Novbember of last year and have never had it in the water and the motor is not yet running. But I cant wait! I have learned tons just since then. Do you have somehting to tow the boat with? My only advice without seeing pictures is to not let your enthusiam get the best of you. Go check it out, then come home and decide if you want it. Pictures Pictures Pictures. The folks on this site would live to check it out and rest assured, feedback will abound!
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Tammy,

Welcome to our world of Thompson Lapstrakes. Where in Missouri is the boat located? I live in the Springfield, Missouri area and we have an 1963 18 Thompson and 1953 16' Thompson we base on Table Rock Lake near Branson.

If the boat is in as good a shape as he says and the motor runs well, it sounds like a fair deal. I would check what the others have written and also ask the owner for a water test. It is a pain, but I left a boat in Michigan last year that looked great on the trailer, but a water test showed serious handling problems which may have indicated a hooked or bent keel. That boat had not been used recently.

Depending on where you live in Missouri, I might be able to steer you to someone with lapstrake boat experience.

John Thompson
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Hi everyone,
I finally saw the boat yesterday and took pictures but Im having difficulty figuring out how to post them. Visually the boat looked great....just dusty. It was scraped on the hull probably b/c of how he gets it on and off the trailer. He said it collects a couple gallons of water over a 4 or 5 hour time period and then drains it. He said it has a leak but all boats leak according to this guy. Someone mentioned to me about a hook on the hull due to improper storage. It was resting pretty heavily on the trailer where It appeared it was ever so slightly bent in but maybe thats normal. I told him about the possible hook and he said he doesnt know about it but it is difficult to steer. He said it makes a rubbing sound but it works. He feels it should be a little easier to handle than it does. He replaced the vinyle on the bench and everything appeared to work. We couldnt put it in the water b/c its at floodstage on the river. Im going back next weekend. He wants 3500 for everything. He said he would take the motor off for 1200 dollars. If this boat does have a hook can it be fixed? Im sure for a small fee. I didnt see any rotting and he was willing to unscrew the floor panels to prove it. Ill try and figure out how to send pictures after I send this.

Thanks a lot!
Tammy
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

John,
I live in St. Louis, Mo. If you know of anyone that works on the wooden boats that would be great. I havent purchased it yet. I have to put it in the water first.

Tammy
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

If there is a hook or hog in the hull, it not NOT a simple thing to fix. This may be the reason the owner has steering problems. Also, a couple gallons of water in 4-5 hours is more than a little leak. That is a problem that needs to be addressed. All boats are not supposed to leak - that is a falicy!

Yes, take the floor boards up and get an ice pick and poke around at the keelson, stringers, planking and ribs. It should be solid, if the ice pick goes into the wood - that is indication of a problem. Is the wood discoloured?

What is the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat? What is the serial number on the small rectangular metal plate? Where was the boat built - Peshtigo, WI or Cortland, NY? This is needed to verify the year.

Andreas
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Hey Tammy - I am too new at this to give you best advice (the others here can), but of course I will. Apologies that it's so long. If he states that the boat is difficult to handle, it raises a concern for me. Is he saying it's hard to steer because the steering is stiff or loose or something? That's likely not a big issues. Or that once underway up on plane, the boat is hard to keep settled and riding straight. The latter could indicate a hook in the bottom (a concaved area). Hooks act just like trim tabs. As speed increases the force of the water over that hook wants to steer the boat around, and since hooks are not likely to be uniform across the bottom of the boat, you'll get squirrelly handling as the trim of the motor, your steering, and the hook's effect battle against each other. I'm no expert, but I have to think that most hooks require a lot of effort and skill to fix.

I know I am rambling on, but if I had it to do over again, I would take a knowledgeable person with me to take it out on the water. I knew ZERO about wooden boats, and next to nothing about boats in general when I drove 700+ miles last year and bought my Sea Lancer. Knowing what I know now, I likely would have bought a different boat. And I say that without ever having had mine in the water. So, don't be afraid to dive in, but don't be in a hurry either. There are other boats.

Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

By the way - to post an image - pick a free picture sharing site, like:
www.photobucket.com (which is the one I use, it's free). Set up an account, upload your pictures. Once the pics are uploaded, under the picture thumbnail you'll see a field lable IMG code. Cut and paste that text into the body of your message. Like this:

Best of Luck!!!!
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
Ron P

Boat handling!

Post by Ron P »

I agree with Peters reply above. If the boat has a hook in the bottom the price has just gone down a lot. You can get that fixed but will take quite a bit of work.

If the motor is trimed in to much it will cause the crazy steering too. THe motor is pushing the bow (front) down. Then the curve of the bow catches water and waves. At speed the boat well need to be up on plane. So the front of the bottom of the boat is out of the water.
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Hey guys,
when you say the motor is trimmed in too much that may cause the the bow of the boat to be pushed down and its harder to handle. What does trimmed in too much mean? The motor is pushed more towards the inside of the boat? He said the steering makes a swishy, draggy feel but he said it works. It just takes a little more muscle to move it around. I guess like a car with no power steering. I dont think he has it on a proper trailer. The bow of the boat is resting heavily on the trailer and it almost looks like its getting pinched slightly. And now im gettiing mixed reviews of 2 to 3 gallons of water after a 4 or 5 hour period is okay or not at all....it leaks too much. Unfortunately I dont know anyone that knows about boats....especially wooden boats in Missouri. The owner has limited knowledge. Maybe I should keep looking.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Tammy
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Now I have picturs-