Need help with what I have?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

BMitt

Need help with what I have?

Post by BMitt »

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. My two brothers and I recieved this boat from my brother's neighbor. It was her husband's boat ( he died in the 80's) and the boat been siiting in her garage since. Unfourtunately, she drowned during hurricane Katrina and the boat and motor sat under water for 3 weeks. Her nephew inhereted the boat, but didn't want anything to do with it, so he said as long as we get it out of the garage before it was demolished, we could have it. So last night, we rescued it from destruction.
I have the capacity plate off the transum ( 1500 lbs) with an 85 hp motor. The approximate length is 16' 8" and width across is 6' 3 1/2". It has a serial # on the dash but I can't read it yet.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Brian
New Orleans, LA

P.S. I have pics and can e-mail them to anyone willing to help.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

dont know how much I can help, but would love to see the pictures (My e-mail is in my profile). Best for the experts on this site is a dead on side view and an interior shot (such as from up above the transom). You can post pictures right here in the forum. Here's how: pick a picture sharing site, like: www.photobucket.com (which is the one I use, it's free). Set up an account, upload your pictures to that site. Once the pics are uploaded, typically you'll see a field labled IMG code. Cut and paste that text into the body of your message and the image shuld appear.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

What a sad means to get a boat. Katrina and the continuing afermatch are such a tragedy.

You can email me with more info. and pictures. The following information is required to properly ID the boat:

1. manufacturer's name and location (located on the metal plate)
2. serial number from teh metal plate
3. hull ID which is stamped into the wood fo teh transom, inside the boat

Andreas
email: thompsonboat@msn.com
BMitt

Post by BMitt »

Here is some more info on the "rescue" we have.
Metal tag:
Thomson Bros.
Boat Mfg. Co.
Peshtigo, Wis
Serial # 12966

Number stamped into transum: G81954 M

Pics: Image

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!
Brian
New Orleans, LA[/img]
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

You really need to get a accurate measurement of the centerline of the boat to really tell what it is. It looks like a 1958 Sea Lancer to me. Shaun
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

You gave a length of 16'-8", capacity of 1500 pounds and 85 HP, and with the hull ID "G81954M" and serial # "12966" This is a 1958 Sea Lancer. It is the 1,954th boat (of all models) made in the 1958 model year. The "G" and "M" were codes for the guys in the factory in charge of getting this boat out the door.

The centerline length should be 16'-9" and the gunwale length 17'-6".

The blue-teal paint behind the Thompson hullside logo should not be there.

Lemonade yellow was the standard hull colour for the Sea Lancer in 1958. White was an option.

Looks like she needs a good cleaning before you can asses the situation.

By the way, keep that round fire extinguisher. She is vintage and very cool looking. Even if it does not work, keep it as a piece of history and great accessory for the boat!

Andreas