What exactly do I have here

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jquinlivan

What exactly do I have here

Post by jquinlivan »

I just picked up this 1956 Thompson and I'd like to know more about it. The length is a little over 15 feet and the beam measures 5"9". The name plate says that it was built in Cortland, NY. The number etched into the transom is C5452 with a Y under it. Here are some pictures. http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0_0894.jpg http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0_0893.jpg http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0_0892.jpg
I'd also be interested to know if there was an alternate seating arrangement for the rear seat on this model. I'd like to make it more comfortable for the passanger back there. The motor that came with it is a 40 horse johnson which I don't think is the original, but someone could weigh in on that. It has been out of the water since 1996. What preperation do I ned to do before I put it in the water the first time? Thanks
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

If the hull ID is "C5452 Y" this is a 1954 model year boat, the 52nd made that year. The "C" indicates Cortland and the first number "5" indicates that this is the 6th year this model was made. The "Y" is a code for a worker in the factory that worked on this boat.

This is a Sea Coaster model if the centerline length is about 15'-2".

The plank rear seat looks like she is original. This is all they offered at that time from the factory. It is not unusual for an owner to add a back rest.

Andreas
jquinlivan

Post by jquinlivan »

Thanks for the info. It's regestered as as '56 which I guess must be wrong. I rechecked the number on the transom and it is 5452.

The guy I bought it from said that I should flood the boat to swell the wood before I launch it for the first time. What would you suggest? As I mentioned before, It's been out of the water since '96.

John
john

Post by john »

Your engine appears to be a 1960 40hp.

Soaking boat before launch will help, but in a perfect world your should seal the hull so it does not leak.

I rebuilt my 1960 Cruisers Inc, complete disassembly with new 5200 and new fasheners.

After 3 years, 100+ hours and 7000 miles of towing it does not leak a drop.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Paperwork and memories about boat years are notorious for being incorrect.

Andreas
jquinlivan

Post by jquinlivan »

I did find a model number on the motor and it is indead a 1960. Thanks.

I'll soak the hull and then launch her to see how bad things are. It looks in pretty good shape but i'm sure some water will find it's way in. i'm not quite ready yet for a complete disassembly but maybe that's in the cards. I got this boat because I wanted to work on it. I was getting tired of building plywood skiffs.

John
john

Post by john »

For pictures of disassemble go to www.aerialimaging.net/john