50's Thompson, I think?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dave D.

50's Thompson, I think?

Post by Dave D. »

We are in the process of cleaning my parents home out, as they are getting ready to move. We pulled out my grandfathers Thompson wood boat that has been stored in an unheated garage for many years. Its in a bad state of affairs and we are trying to decide what to do with it. I thought we should at least know what it is first and determine is it worth saving.

I'm told its a 1959 Thompson however, I've pulled some information from the boat for someone who is in the know might help us out.

There is a tag on the right side of the transom stating this is a Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co., Cortlandt, NY. Serial #54732, there were no letters showing. The length is about 15'-3" the beam is about 5'-8". I'm thinking its a 1954 vintage Sea Coaster runabout possibly. Here are a couple of pictures.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... G_0481.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... G_0480.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... G_0478.jpg

The boat is in bad repair as the pictures will attest. Its a plywood, lapstrake plank with the brass connections every 2". The white oak ribs are in bad shape and in need of replacement. Can anyone assist this novice?
Dave
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard. The pictures and the serial number tag 54732 would point to this being a 1954 model year boat. The dimensions point to it being a Sea Coaster.

The front seat backs point to it being a Cortland made boat (they were different than those made at Peshtigo).

The transom motor extension thingy is quite interesting! Yikes!

The Mercury outboard is much newer than the boat.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I've have a Cortland built boat and what looks like the very same trailer, a Holsclaw. If you decide to junk it, or sell the boat/trailer separatley, I might be interested in some of the trailer parts.

The peeled paint and finish doesnt mean its shot, it's all about the level of rot (says this total novice). Can we see the interior?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
john

Post by john »

I believe engine is 1971.
Dave D.

Post by Dave D. »

Thanks John,
Your suggestion makes sense to me as that lines up with my memory of when my grandfather bought the engine. We can crank the motor though we haven't tried to start it. Probably needs a complete overall before that is attempted.
Dave
1957Creaky

Post by 1957Creaky »

Wow...that's some insane homejob on the stern. The reflectors are an interesting touch! There's some potential there for a terrific restore.
David
1957 Thompson Sea Lancer
1978 Mercury Marine 900
Lake Allatoona, Georgia