Is this a Thompson?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Joe P

Is this a Thompson?

Post by Joe P »

My brother gave me this boat which was given to him 8 years ago ( he had plans of restoring and never got around to it ) anyway he was told it was a 1960 Thompson. I looked all over the boat and connot find an obc plate or a hull number. The length is 17'-4" and the beam at widest point 7'1". It is on a Pamco trailer and has a 75 hp Evinrude. I have posted several picures here:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/jparting/

From the pictures I've posted is this in poor shape? or could a novice make the repairs needed. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks,
Joe
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Yes this is a Thompson but I'm not expert on the various years / models. I'm sure one of the guys with more expiertiese will fill you in on the particulars.
Great pictures, these would be helpful in answering future construction questions posted by others... perhaps AJR would consider keeping these on file / linked ??

Joe B
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard.

My guess is that this is a Cruisers, Inc. boat. Looking at the hull shape, cabinets behind the front seats, floor supports, deck...tend to point to Cruisers, Inc.

Look again for a hull ID. It will be stamped into the wood of the transom, inside tha boat. It may be upside down and most often is on the starboard side. It may be covered up by some other component. It is NOT on a metal plate - it is stamped into the wood. Also look on the starboard side on the outside of the boat just under the gunwale. Cruisers, Inc. started putting the hullID on a small metal strip that got nailed at this location. They started this about 1962 or 1963.

She has very serious structural problems. If you are going to restore this, you MUST address the problems I see with the inner keelson and the ribs and the junction of the stem and inner keelson. I can see huge amounts of decay. All that bad wood must be replaced. You probably have to replace the inner keelson, stem, and many of the ribs. You must decide if you have the dedication, drive, time, and skills to do a major restoration. It is not for the faint at heart! I am not trying to frighten you, but this boat has obvious serios troubles.

There are a bunch of dedicated folk here at this forum that can walk you thru the process. So...keep in touch.

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Don't be too frightened, my 20' Seacamper looked as bad when I got her, see lake test under restoration. Her bilge area looked as bad or worse. A close inspection with an ice pick to determine if wood is rotten/soft or just bare and stained. Old pieces that are solid can be cleaned up and stained/sealed/varnished.
This does look like a Cruisers Inc. there should be a number on the inside starboard transom about 3-4 inches below cutout. You may have to sand that area to revel it. My 16' that I am restoring see "restoration" is very similar in construction and design.
Good Luck.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

All, thanks for the input. I looked again for a hull number and cannot find one maybe I will run across it when I start to retore. I have plenty of time now as we recently moved into a townhouse, no more yard work! Anyway, I have alot of reading to do before I start but when I think I am ready where would any of you suggest I start? To replace the inner keelson, stem and ribs do I need to flip the boat and work from the bottom? Removing bottom planks? I will look thru the forum some more for more info but any suggested books/websites? Once I get her going I will post some more pictures.

Thanks again,
Joe P
vinny

Post by vinny »

Joe, I believe there is a CD for sale loaded with all kinds of usefull info on Thompsons, Cruisers, etc. I think its listed for sale on this site somewhere, just click alot of buttons till you run across it or ask ajr. After reading some of the posts about guys that restore boats I can say you will become a very good sander. It sounds like fun though. If I had the time and know how, I would enjoy bringing that boat back to life.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

There is a CD-ROM for sale with scans of old brochures/literature from the various Thompson boat firms, including Cruisers, Inc. It can be purchased from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org.

It does not contain any restoration information. It does contain some articles on history of Thompson et.al., patents, postcards...

Andreas