1967 Sea Coaster?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

David

1967 Sea Coaster?

Post by David »

Andreas:

I have what I've been told is a 1967 Sea Coaster. It has a "Sea Coaster" label on the dash, and the following identification tag on the transom:

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co.
Peshtigo, Wis.
Serial Number 21783.

What can you tell me about her?

Also, a separate question: I'm working on removing the garboard planks, due to delamination and to get access to the frames, which may well need to be partially replaced. Is there any way to get out the nails holding the garboard planks to the keelson without digging them out? Is there a tool that will do this efficiently?

David.
john

Post by john »

I used a sharp ice pick,
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome David,

From the information you gave, I trust that you have a Sea Coaster made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI. The serial number cannot tell me anything.

What is the hull ID of the boat? This is a must have to verify the year. The hull ID will be stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. It typically is on the starboard side and sometimes gets stamped upside down. Note that it is different than the serial number.

Use a hack saw blade to cut the nails off. Or if you are not resuing the plank, just dig 'em out or bash from the other side and drive them loose.

Andreas
David

Post by David »

Andreas:

The hull number is hard to read, but appears to be YU0855.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Well, the first NUMBER of the hull ID is the last digit of the year of manufacture. So in your case, if it is indeed "YU0855" this would indicate a boat made in 1950, 1960, or 1970. It would have been the 855th boat made in that year (of all models). The Y and U are codes assigned to workers in tehplant responsible for building this particular boat.

As an example, my user boat has a hull ID of D72906. It was built at Peshtigo. This is the 2,906th boat of all models made in eh year that ends in 7, ie. 1947, 1957, or 1967. Measurments, hull shape, constrcution detaisl narrow this down to 1957. Therefore I have a 1957 model year Sea Lancer. The letter "D" is a code for the guy in the factory in charge of building this particular boat.

The means to tell the difference between 1950, 1960, and 1970 are measurements, hull shape, seating and obverall details of construction.

Thompson Boat at Peshtigo ceased making wooden boats in 1969, so that eliminates 1970. They did not start using the model name on the dashboard until circa 1962. So, somehting just does not compute.

Andreas
David

Post by David »

Thanks. I will look at the number again and will post some photos.
a j r

Post by a j r »

The serial number 21783 is pretty close to another 1962 boat. If the boat was a 1967 model year, the serial number range would be more like 27000 or more.

Carefully check the hull ID again. Maybe make a rubbing ot it with a pencil and piece of paper.

Andreas