matching year and hin number ?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bruce

matching year and hin number ?

Post by Bruce »

I recently bought a Thompson sea lancer. The boat registration shows it as 1961 but the HIN number (which I can not find on the boat) is listed on the title as 1963881053. I am doubtful that a HIN number that starts 1963 was built in 1961. The number stamped into the hull is correct as 810503. I do not know what the first five digits (19638) signify. Any advice is appreciated.
a j r

Post by a j r »

That long number starting with 1963 is meaningless. It probably is a state assigned number. It has nothing to do with the boat manufacturer.

Look for a hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. It typically starts with a letter and is followed by a series of numbers and may end in another letter.

ALSO, look for a serial number on a small rectangular metal tag. Tell me exactly and completely what it says on that tag.

Is there a red Outboard Boating Club of American tag on the boat? If yes, what are the ratings listed?

Andreas
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The hull number on the title is 19638810503. Another posting suggested the first digit (1) signifies either 1951 or 1961. The next digits (9638) the number of prior boats manufactured that year. The remaining (810503) is the hull id that is stamped into the transom. There is no metal tag with the serial number. The OBTC tag lists max hp as 90. Bruce
a j r

Post by a j r »

No no no, don't pay ANY attention to what is written on some piece of paper. Go to the boat itself. Paperwork is notorius for being incorrect.

How do you know it is a Sea Lancer?

Is that first digit of the hull ID that is stamped into the wood the letter "B"?? That would make sense and "B10503" would indicate the 503rd boat made in the year ending with 1 (1951 or 1961). The letter B is a code assigned to the worker resposible for this particular boat. This ONLY applies to boats made at Peshtigo.

Is this a boat made at Peshtigo, WI by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co.?

Andreas