What do I have?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

degerb

What do I have?

Post by degerb »

I just purchased a 1967 20' Thompson. It has a hull #28108 on a metal plate located on the port side of the engine shroud. I was ubable to find a Model # located anywhere.The passenger load is 11 souls located on a plate adjacent to the engine control. The boat has an Ice box and sink with stainless supply tank built in behind the front seat. They are installed in a Mahogany unit. The fuel tank is located under the front seat. The boat has 6' fold down passenger seats located lengthwise on both port and starboard sides behind the galley unit. On the interior sides of the hull there some kind of open weave fabric installed with snaps. The engine, I was told, is a Buick V6 with an OMC outdrive. The beam width at the windshield is approxomately 84". The deck is so trashed and delaminated I can't tell whether it was mahogany or covered with the same fabric that is on the topside of the gunnels. Can someone hazard a guess on what I have? I would also appreciate any input on the boats weight and horsepower.
Regards
degerb

What do I have?

Post by degerb »

I must have had a dead short between my brain and fingers during my last post. :( My boat has a 98" beam instead of 84". The old girl must have spread beamwise over the years, (similar to me!:)With out a cabin, I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise, since there isn't a whole lot besides the windshield and deck to hold her together.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Is this a wooden boat or fiberglass?

Is it made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI or some other firm?

Is the 28108 the serial number (stamped into a small metal plate) or the hull ID (stamped directly into the wood of the transom)?

Andreas
degerb

Post by degerb »

The boat is a wooden lapstrake. The aluminum plate mounted on the interior transom trim states that #28108 is the hull number. I am unable so far to find any other kind of number stamped, burnt or printed on any part of the boat. The Thompson mfg co. nameplates on the hull say Peshtigo, WI. From reading other posts, I sort of think the boat could be an Offshore camper model. Other than that I haven't a clue.
a j r

Post by a j r »

The 28108 is the serial number if she is stamped into that metal plate and says "Serial No." Look again for the hull ID. It is stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. Most often she is on the starboard side. Sometimes stamped upside down. It will be a series of numbers possibly preceded by a letter and followed by a letter.

The hull ID is needed to figure out the year. I can't do anything with the serial number.

In the 1967 catalog of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. the model 2060 Off Shore Camper has a sink on the port side behind the front seat and an ice box behind the starboard seat. She has fold down seats running lengthwise behind these fixtures. The boat's centerline length is 20'-1" with gunwale length of 21'-9" and beam of 96" and deck length of 83". The weight of the hull is 1400 pounds (without motor) and her capacity is 2930 pounds. She is rated for up to 180 HP for an outboard and 225 HP for an inboard/outboard.

The cockpit liners were a standard item. She also had a deck hatch

Andreas
degerb

Thanks

Post by degerb »

Thank you for very much for your input. The boat title tells me it's a 1967 but I'll continue to look for the correct numbers. I do have four other questions. 1) Since I don't know what she looked like cosmetically straight from the factory, where would you suggest that I look for pictures? Somewhere, I saw a Thompson catalog on CD would this suffice? 2) I am, at this moment particularily interested in the deck layout and finish. 3) Also, if the engine is a V6 with a OMC outdrive do you have any idea on the rated horsepower? 4) Lastly, My boat has a manual head installed between the sink and icebox, abaft of the front seat with a mahogany cover over it. was this a factory equipped item or something that was added aftermarket?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Catalogs are available for sale on CD-ROM at www.dragonflycanoe.com. Make certain you look at the 1966 catalog too. In 1967 Thompson Bros. Boat was in banmkruptcy and the catalog that year was abbreviated.

A marine head was a factory option. I have no clue where it was installed.

Maximum HP in 1967 for the Off Shore Camper was 225 HP for inboard/outboard or 180 HP for an outboard. No information in the 1967 catalog about what engines were available. In the 1966 catalog it lists the following I/O's: Mercruiser 110 HP; OMC 150 HP; Interceptor Eaton 165 HP; and Mercruiser 150 HP.

Deck and gunwale covering boards came standard covered in vinyl. She has a deck hatch which is stained and varnished.

Andreas
degerb

Post by degerb »

I was very curious about the head location. Where it is located makes for less than ideal access to the front seat. With all the modern regulations regarding raw sewage dumping, I think the head and both thru hull penetrations will have to go, perhaps one of the penetrations can be utilized for a depth finder transducer. Porta potty here I come. I ordered the Cd catalog and when that arrives, then I can really start to plan the sequence of repairs and events that will put her back into the water. Many thanks for your time and effort on my questions, it was appreciated!