Finally have pics of the mystery gauge!!

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

hoytheld

Finally have pics of the mystery gauge!!

Post by hoytheld »

here it is...what the hell is this gauge's purpose in life???

[/img]ImageImage

here is the boat it's in...bought her for $1.00

[/img]Image
Image[/img]
a j r

Post by a j r »

It sure looks like a compass. Not sure about the letters on the indicator, however.

Nice looking boat! Wow - she's an inboard/outboard. What year and model is she?

Andreas
hoytheld

Post by hoytheld »

'62 offshore with the aquamatic 80 volvo inboard 4 cyl. it is very clean in and out....like I stated...bought it for $1.00...but had to give $700 for the trailer...not bad though!!
a j r

Post by a j r »

I do not see the padded bolsters - eyebrows on the dashboard which should be on the 1962 Off Shore model. Is it possible it's a different year?

What is the hull ID (stamped into the wood of the transom) and what is the serial number (stamped onto rectangular metal plate)?

Or maybe someone removed them and refinished the dashboard?

What is her centerline length?

Andreas
hoytheld

Post by hoytheld »

ajr,

she is up on lake erie at middle bass island at my parents house...it will be some time before I get up there...Here soon...I am taking my stuff up to shrink wrap her for the winter..I will let you know!!
a j r

Post by a j r »

Shrink wrapping a wooden boat is a NO NO.

Andreas
JSC

Mystery Guage

Post by JSC »

Ain't it obvious ...? It is a specialized compass to get you from point A to point Z and everywhere in between.
JSC
hoytheld

Post by hoytheld »

I am going to put three times the reccomended amount of vents for that size of boat....probably 12-15 vents....it will be fine...if not....it was only a dollar...I'll use the lyman instead!!
Cruise_N_Style

Post by Cruise_N_Style »

I don't know for sure, but that instrument sure looks like it was designed to navigate between Marker Buoys on inland lakes. I used to do a lot of boating in New Hampshire on Lake Winnipesauke, it is a difficult lake to navigate due to all of the very large granite boulders under the lake. You could be in 60 ft of water and hit a boulder! They used a somewhat complicated buoy system to mark the obstacles and water ways. Here is a link that explains it.

I am not sure how to explain the letters!

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/markers.htm
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

If you bought that boat for a dollar, you'd better start buying lottery tickets! :lol: :wink: