Worthy Project Boat

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ducky

Worthy Project Boat

Post by Ducky »

Hi, I have aquired a Cruisers Inc. runabout from one of my father's friends.
It is 16 feet long and has a 1963(I think) Evinrude Lark that might run again.
My question is what model is the boat and what year was it made in?
The HIN# is L21528. Thanks for any info.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

Need more information to ID the boat. The hull ID MIGHT indicate a 1962 model year vessel. That year the 16 footers were the SEAFARER models. Their actual dimensions were: 16'-2" centerline length; 17'-7" gunwale length; 37 1/2" depth amid; 75" beam amid; 62 1/2" transom width; 29 1/2" depth at transom; 65" deck length with maximum HP rating of 80 HP and 1,300 pounds weight.

Andreas
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Thank you for all the information and the warm welcome. How did you come up with all the specfications? You must have a great amount of knowledge about these boats. I do not have any more info about the boat. I will try to take some pictures and post them to give you guys a chance to look at the lines to see if you can further identify it.
Thank you.
Nick
a j r

Post by a j r »

Pictures are extremely important in the process to ID the boat. There are NO build records to check. You must also bear in mind that the boats were changed almost annually in size and details.

The measurements and specs came from the Cruisers, Inc. brochure. Brochures/catalogs of Thompson Boat and spin-offs such as Cruisers are on a CD-ROM that is available for sale at www.dragonflycanoe.com. It is an excellent resource and well worth the investment.

Andreas
PCR

16' Cruisers Inc. Seafarer

Post by PCR »

a j r wrote:Pictures are extremely important in the process to ID the boat. There are NO build records to check. You must also bear in mind that the boats were changed almost annually in size and details.

The measurements and specs came from the Cruisers, Inc. brochure. Brochures/catalogs of Thompson Boat and spin-offs such as Cruisers are on a CD-ROM that is available for sale at www.dragonflycanoe.com. It is an excellent resource and well worth the investment.

Andreas
Hello, First time on the forum, I have just recieved a 1960 202 Seafarer but have yet to find ID # have looked in all places listed in the forum, any Ideas? I am evaluating its restoration possibilities, it is rougher than I thought. Also have tried to reach John From Crosby, Texas with no luck yet, he has the exact boat as mine, it would be a great help if I could contact him somehow???? Thanks Pete
john

Post by john »

Sorry about that. Just checked my email and found it to be incorrect.

Should be correct now.

My phone number is 832 473 8928.

My pictures are at http://www.aerialimaging.net/john

John Platou
a j r

Post by a j r »

The hull ID on Cruisers, Inc. boats are stamped into the wood of the transom, inside teh boat. Sometimes they are upside down. Typically on the straboard side. They sometimes get covered up by other components suich as the started box if there is/was an OMC outboard on the boat.

Starting in the early 1960s they also put the ID on a little metal strip that was attached to the outside of the boat, just under the gunwale abnout midships.

Andreas
PCR

Post by PCR »

Hello Andreas,
I have found the ID # 012426 it was upside down and on a inner verticle board, drivers side, closer to the middle. So this confirms the year 1960? what else do the other #'s tell you?
Thanks Pete
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

PCR wrote:Hello Andreas,
I have found the ID # 012426 it was upside down and on a inner verticle board, drivers side, closer to the middle. So this confirms the year 1960? what else do the other #'s tell you?
Thanks Pete
I think the secret for breaking the code for the hull numbers was available in an issue of The Thompson Dockside. Does anyone know which issue?

Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

The Cruisers, Inc. hull ID code was not the same as that for Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Generally for Cruisers, Inc. the first number of the code was the last digit of the model year. Therefore your boat's code has a number "0" making her a 1960 model year boat.

Volume 1 Number 2 Sept/Oct 1997 was the issue with the hull code article for Thompson.

It's also available on the Thompson Boat Rally DVD/video avialable from Dave Garwood at Skylight Media.

Andreas