Starting restoration of 20' Cruisers, Inc Royal Vacationer

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Phil

Starting restoration of 20' Cruisers, Inc Royal Vacationer

Post by Phil »

Hi everyone, Thought I'd let everyone know you'll be getting alot of questions concerning the restoration of this boat! This will be my first attempt at this. I picked up a 20' Royal Vacationer that needs? For $250 I figured what the heck. I've been reading this forum for the last two days getting ideas on the projects ahead. The hull is excellent, the front deck and the cabin roof are another story. Will post some pics once I figure out how. Thanks in advance for any and all your help Phil

Gotta get me one of those license plates! :D
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

If you can't post pictures here (I have never figured out how to do it!) you can easily do it at another site that is mostly Thompson related: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicoutboards/

What's the hull ID of your boat (I keep a database)? It is stamped into the wood of the transom inside the boat. Sometimes upside down.

Andreas
Phil

Thanks for the welcome

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the welcome aboard! The hull number is 216556. Here are a few pictures of what I have to start with.

I'm very excited about this project. I have seen pictures of some of your boats. No motor for the price, but I figure while I am restoring her, I will keep my eyes open for a decent '62 50-75hp.

Phil
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Phil,

It didn't take you long to figure out pictures and license plates. Welcome to the board.

Looks like a great boat. Watch prices on outboards at ebay and Craig's List. You should be able to find what you want.

Jim
Phil

Post by Phil »

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. Will post pics and questions as I do the restoring. Thanks for the info on craigslist, will also start looking there.

Phil
a j r

Post by a j r »

The hull ID would indicate a 1962 model year boat. Does she say "Royal Vacationer" on it any place. The reason I ask, is that by 1962 Cruisers, Inc. changed the model name to "Sea Camper." The 18 footer was model 370 and the 20 footer was model 570.

In 1962 they came standard with vinyl covered decks in either Beach Tan or Coral White.

Andreas
Phil

Post by Phil »

Andreas,

No, not on the boat itself, only on the spec sheet the previous owner gave me that he got from Cuisers, Inc. Could be when he contacted them he just asked for the spec sheet on the model 570 and got the wrong year. I agree with your research. I will now continue my restoration of my Model 570 Sea Camper. Thanks for the updated info.

Phil
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Welcome, I am finishing a 1965 Seacamper 570. I have extensive images of restoration. Check out my site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicoutboards/. My site has photos of several different Seacampers.
I am interested in cabinet under passenger seat. Could you get me some details about it. Is it a galley? Sorry about the blue paint, can you say stripper?
Does your cabin door have a vented window?
Will post some updates soon.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas