I'm new...what do I have?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tacomacouple

I'm new...what do I have?

Post by tacomacouple »

We aren't stupid...just new to boating.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The seats look like those of Cruisers, Inc. of Oconto, WI.

Is there any name plate, logos, hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, name or logo on the steering wheel?

Andreas
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

Yup...There is a thing on there that says Cruisers Inc.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

One clue down. We will assume that she is a boat made by Cruisers, Inc. of Oconto, WI. Next step, determine the year and then the model.

1. get a flashlight, rag, pencil and paper. Crawl into the boat and look for a hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. The transom is the vertical assembly where the motor is mounted. The hull ID will be on the starboard side (right), possibly stamped upside down, possibly covered by some component attached to the transom.

The hull ID will be a series of numbers and possibly some letters. It may be filled with varnish or paint and therefore difficult to find.

2. Is there a small rectangular metal plate with maximum HP and weight capacity ratings? If yes, what are those ratings?

3. Measure the boat. Get the centerline length - from the tip of the bow to the end of the transom. Measure at the level of the deck. Also measure the gunwale length from the tip of the bow to the edge of the transom - follow the curve of the front deck on the outside of the rubrail. Also measure the maximum width of the boat at the level of the deck. Also measure the maximum width of the transom.

ALL this is needed to determine the model and year.

You can purchase on CD-ROM the brochures of Cruisers, Inc. at www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org. They are on the Thompson Boat Brochure CD.

Andreas
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

Ok...will do.

Thanks.
tacomacouple

Hull Number found!!!

Post by tacomacouple »

tacomacouple

Another pic of hull number.

Post by tacomacouple »

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Is the hull ID "G7821" ?? If so, that indicates 1957 model year.

Still need dimensions to determine the model. See my previous posting.

Andreas
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

So...when you say to measure the max width at the level of the "Deck"...what, exactly are you saying? Measure the width from the FLOOR? I measured the width, over the top, at the middle of the boat, is that correct?

I lost all the prior measurements I took so I will go out and measure it all over again and post laster.

I really appreciate your help.
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

Does the "G" in that mean "Gator"? On the registration for the trailer, it says the trailer is a "Gator". I'm wondering if that's what type of Thompson boat it is. Did they ever make a "Gator" in 1957?

So that would mean it is a Thompson Gator 1857 the 821st boat made for that year?
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

Here are my measurements:

From Bow to Stern: 193 inches

Transom---@ midpoint (GunWale area) 66 inches width
Transom---@ Top 61 inches width

At half point of boat---width 66 inches at Gunwale
At half point of boat---width 61 inches on top.
tacomacouple

A few more pics may help ID the boat as well.

Post by tacomacouple »

Tis is where I found the hull number Port side aft on transome, right in the corner.

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

This is NOT a Thompson Boat. All indications are that she is a boat made by Cruisers, Inc. of Oconto, Wisconsin. Cruisers, Inc. was a completely separate entity from Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co.

The hull ID G7821 probably indicates she is the 871st boat of all models made in the model year 1957. The "G" is a code for the guy in the factory responsible for getting this particular boat out the door. It has nothing to do with the model.

The dimensions and seating set-up are needed to determine the model. IF the centerline length is 16'-1" than you have the model 302 Commodore.

Cruisers, Inc. changed the name of this model in the 1958 model year to Commander.

Gator is a brand of boat trailer made by Peterson Bros. of Jacksonville, Florida. It has nothing to do with the boat manufacturer or boat model.

The boat builder did NOT put the boat on a trailer nor did the boat builder install an outboard motor on the boat. Trailers, motors, dashboard instruments, etc... were installed by the dealer or by the purchaser. Wherever the boat was purchased by the consumer, the trailer and motor brands installed were whatever that particular dealer carried in their product line.

The structure of the boat appears to be in pretty good condition.

Andreas
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

That's a lot of great, helpful info. I appreciate all of your answers. It's nice to know what we have so we can now get it registered.
tacomacouple

Post by tacomacouple »

Finally...after a lot of paperwork being done. I now have the boat registered as the 57' 302 Commodore in my name. Now it's time to get started with the restoration.