1960 Thompson Deluxe Sea Lancer

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

HalcyonDays

1960 Thompson Deluxe Sea Lancer

Post by HalcyonDays »

Imagecave.com is down

I just picked up this boat last week. I believe it is a 18' 1960 Thompson runabout. The first two pictures show the boat as it now exists. The third is a photo of the boat in its prime. The boat comes with all original hardware and no rot. I would like to paint it the original yellow; does anyone know the color and where I may find it?(ie. interlux, etc.) Thanks
Hull number 56173
Thompson Brothers Cortland NY
Last edited by HalcyonDays on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

I just got some of this paint a week ago. It is Thompson Lemonade Yellow. I got it from George Kirby Jr. Paint Co., try this link :
www.kirbypaint.com , Good Luck, Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

She looks like a Cortland built boat by Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. The Sea Lancer in 1960 was 17'-2" center line length and the Off-Shore was 19'-0" at the center line.

Is there a metal builder's plate with manufacturer's name and location? If yes, what does it say and what is the serial number?

In 1960 Thompson of NY ceased using the lemonade yellow for the Sea Lancer. The standard colour was "cream." White was standard on all other models.

In any event, the George Kirby, Jr. Paint Company is the only known source for the correct lemonade yellow.

Andreas
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Just checked the hull number is 56173 it does say Thompson Bros. Cortland NY
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Does it say "Thompson Bros." or Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc."

This makes a BIG difference.

Andreas
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

I will have to check again, but I am quite sure it said Thompson Brothers. I will try to take some additional photos and post. The hull number is stamped in the wood of the transom and also on the plate that says Thompson Bros.
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

I guess it says Thompson Boat
Last edited by HalcyonDays on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Would like to stay original. Was Yellow okay with this serial number or should it be off white? Also what color bottom? Blue

Thanks
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The manufacturer's full and correct name and location is very important. There were THREE (3) Thompson Boat firms in 1960! including: Thompson Bros Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI; Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. of Cortland, NY; and Thompson Royal-Craft, Inc. of Cortland, NY.

So...knowing exactly who made her and where is vital.

You, my friend are in luck. Thompson of NY hull ID 56173 is a 1960 model year Sea Lancer. She was picked up at Cortland, NY on 06 January 1960 by Olsen Marine of Stratford, Conn. She is the Deluxe version and came with folding convertible top and stern curtain and the optional combination vinyl and aluminum gunwale rub rail.

The standard colour was cream on this model in 1960. Bottom was copper bronze anti-fouling piant, definately not blue.

Olsen Marine also picked up three other boats that winter day in 1960.

This information came from the shipping ledger books of Thompson of NY that are archived at the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, VA. I began to enter these hand written ledgers into a computer database a few years ago. I only completed about six months worth of entries starting in the Fall of 1959.

Andreas
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Thank You Andreas. That is very good information to have and is in agreement with what I was told by the previous owner . The person I got the boat from was the son of the original owner. It was the intent of the son to restore the boat, he disassembled the boat and sanded the external paint. Time did not allow the project to continue and so I received it in pieces. The father took very good care to treat the hull from the inside and so there is no rot at all. The exterior was stripped and stored in a barn, the decks seem worn but not stripped. I am eager to put some type of sealer/prime on the planks and to strip, stain and seal the decks. It appears all the hardware including the rub rail is intact and good condition. The windshield and seats have been completely disassembled but all parts seem to be there. This boat is like a jigsaw puzzle and should be fun refinishing and putting back together. I will keep you posted on the progress. Is there a source exact color for the cream paint? Also the floorboards are teal green is that correct? Thanks
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have no idea of the type of cream colour.

The teal blue floor sounds correct.

Andreas
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Thanks again, I think I will use the same off white/ cream that I used on the Grady White as well as the mahogany stain.
Last edited by HalcyonDays on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
tacomacouple

Wow!!

Post by tacomacouple »

Beautiful boat. I hope our 57' turns out as nice when we are finished. I really like the colors. I think I will use them as well.
We aren't stupid...just new to boating.
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Imagecave.com is down

The hull (keelson and rib attachment) is not at all like the Grady White. Have not had time to clean out will soon.
Last edited by HalcyonDays on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Greetings sir,

I have a 1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer. The framing set up you see there, I beleive, was unique to Thompson of Cortland at the time. At least I've never seen anything comparable in the eon's of viewing pics and reading books, etc. They called it the "Fully Vented Keel" and it indeed allows water to flow stem to stern unimpeeded, so it drains better and theorectically the bilge stays cleaner. Other great atvantage is that the frame ends don't sit in the bilge water.

The location of the floor supports and the upward bow are just like my sea lancer, though I have since removed and replaced mine as my boat unfortuatley is not a solid as yours. She looks great.

My boat had flips seats, but I have never been able to locate a picture of the original drivers seat. If yours has flip seats and has what you beleive to be the orignal driver seat, I'd love to see it.

I also JUST scored a picture of another Cortland Sea lancer, my exact model, that shows how the biminy was configured. It was attached to the windshield, not the gunwales. I am not at home this week, but if you are interested I can send it to you when I get home, or you can send me your e-mail and I'll send the picture to you.

Good luck with her, great looking boat (structurally of course)
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware