Maiden Voyage July 4th dinner picnic cruise

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jimmylapstrake

Maiden Voyage July 4th dinner picnic cruise

Post by jimmylapstrake »

Here is a quick message I typed to the former owners. Hope this is the right place to put something like this. The posted are on photobucket here at this link: http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww18 ... 0July%204/

Hope everyone had a great and safe 4th of July!
"Slowly she is transforming from “WIllit Float” to “The Cottage”. Yesterday I slapped a coat of primer after sanding the hull and I painted the top lap so I could get our numbers on. Didn’t even paint the bottom! We launched by 6:30 PM enjoyed a nice rover ride (Ipswich River, Ipswich , MA) down to the mouth of the river where it meets the bay and hung out at the beach for a family picnic then we were home by 9 PM. Lots of local fireworks cancelled around here due to budget cuts so we watched the Boston Fireworks on TV. My wife and I did the kids were passed out.

The boat did great. Being a Mercury outboard fanatic I was surprised with the Johnson. She ran well and seems to be trustworthy the most important part when you have children aboard. Thank you for keeping the boat in the condition you did. We will be making improvements and most importantly enjoying her to the fullest. If you are ever in Massachusetts please feel free to look us up. It would be nice to meet you.

All the best
Jim and Mary Melanson"
Jim Melanson
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Way to Jim! I had my 570 out several times over the weekend. How was your gas consumption? Looks like you got a great deal.
Enjoy her.
Dan
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
jimmylapstrake

Post by jimmylapstrake »

For the ride I took I used about 3.5 gallons. Not bad at all really but I didn't push too hard first time out. Got her up on plane a couple times. I want to replace the steering cable first.

Very Very very pleased if I do say so.
Thank you!!
Jim
Jim Melanson
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

I'm about to do the same thing with my '60 Thonpson in 2 weeks and I hope I have as pleasant experience as you did.. :D
jimmylapstrake

Post by jimmylapstrake »

I am sure you will. Nothing like getting out there for sure. I think from 20 feet away I am the only one that knew it was only primer on the hull.
Jim Melanson
jimmylapstrake

Post by jimmylapstrake »

Although there is lots left to do she is starting to clean up nicely. With this week being a bit slow for me I should get to a good amount of things. The rest I will get to over the winter.
to see pics go here: http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww188/g3jim/
Jim Melanson
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Well, I threatened to post something of my maiden voyage in my '60 SeaCoaster, so here goes. I flew out to ILL and picked up the boat and brought it to my friend's shop for some going-over first.

Replaced the fuel pump diaphram to make sure it was modern for today's fuels.

[/img]

We picked up a bunch of stuff like seat cushions, an anchor, lines, made sure we had a working horn, etc and set off for Lake Sara.
[/img]

The launching went ok for my first time, but the ramp had no dock close by, so I had to climb in the boat and paddle over to the dock. (Not a "user-friendly" launch ramp at all). Of course, she started leaking immediately since she hadn't been on the water in over a year, plus all the finishes are original (almost 50 years old). After about 1/2 hour the leaks slowed down and we could relax a bit on the bailing.
We spent about 2 hours on the water. Everything worked perfectly. Now I know why these wooden Thompsons have such a good rating. What a solid comfortable feel it had. Turns just like a speed boat if you want it to and it was just as flat and steady on plane as you could want. When we hit a wake, there was just a jar under the keel but no bang or shake over the whole boat like with fiberglass or aluminum.
Here's a rear view on plane in a little turn

I think you can tell the captain was happy.
[/img]Image

[/img]

I can't wait to get her on the water again, but I'll work on those leak issues first. :D
jimmylapstrake

Post by jimmylapstrake »

she looks fantastic!!!!!!!!! Glad you had a good run. enjoy her in good health
Jim Melanson