1965 Thompson Thomboy

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

chvjillson

1965 Thompson Thomboy

Post by chvjillson »

Looking at purchasing a '65 Thomboy, but I wanted to verify that the boat is indeed a '65. The owner has given me a hull ID number of 5078 and the serial number of 27077. Obviously the hull ID is not complete, but that's what he's able to copy down.

Looking through the catalogs on the Thompson CD-ROM I just received, I noticed there wasn't a Thomboy listed in the '65 catalog. (but there's one in the '64 and '66 catalogs.) Did Thompson make a Thomboy in '65?

From the catalog, the Thomboy I'm looking to get looks identical to the one in the '66 catalog, except that the vinyl is grey and white, and it has the Thompson logo on the middle of the padded dash and on the top part of the back-to-back seats.

Clark
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

now that I read more in the '65 catalog, I do see that they made a Thomboy (with the Sea Coaster series)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I will assume that this is a Peshtigo made boat by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co.

Serial number 27077 falls within the 1965 model year range.

There is no picture of the Thomboy in the 1965 brochure, however, she is listed. She is model 1777.

Make sure you pull the floor boards to check the condition of teh wood under there. That's were typical problems occur.

Andreas
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

Thanks Andreas for the reply. Yes, I'm assuming its also a Peshtigo Thompson. Here are some photos of what the boat looks like, provided by the current owner. I'm not at all concerned about the condition of the seats or the vinyl on the deck and gunwales, but otherwise I'm very impressed with its condition so far.

I need your opinion on the first image, as the owner indicates that this is a soft part of the keel ... but when he tested how deep the soft area was, he said it only goes in "a little bit" until he hits solid wood (when using a small nail to test).

I'm working on getting photos of the bottom of the boat towards the stern.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage