New owner of a Thompson Sea Coaster?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dreamer

New owner of a Thompson Sea Coaster?

Post by Dreamer »

I included a link to my photo bucket album of the boat I have recently purchased. Its center line measurements are 16' 6 1/2" with windshield removed. the beam measures 6' 9", that's 81". The boat is titled as a 1957 Sea Coaster. The previous owner(he was only the owner for a short time, as he said he bought it for a friend that could not come up with the money)says it is a 1964 Sea Coaster
He based that on some research that he did that included a visit from Andreas Jordahl Rude. He gave me some printouts of E Mail correspondence between him and Andreas. It did not include the photos that the e mails referred to. The # stamped into the inside stern appears to be H40116.
The small plate attached to the dash says it was made in New York. The Thompson Scrips(unattached) says it was built in Wisc. Based on what I have read on this site tells me that a person with the initial of H took credit for a 1954,64, or some year ending in a 4 and the hull was the
116 th built of that model year.
Info from a more educated person or persons is appreciated.http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m276 ... /Thompson/
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Your pictures don't show up.

Is this the boat that was near Rochester, MN?

If yes, that boat is a Frankenstein Monster. It is made up of several different boats. I believe the HULL only is a Peshtigo built boat by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. - and probably a Sea Coaster model from 1964. The windshield frame, seats, and dashboard are from a different boat - probably a Cortland built boat from the late 1950s.

The hull is definately a 1960s hull, just from looking at the shape and size.

Hull ID "H40116" for a Peshtigo built boat indicates the 116th boat of ALL models made in 1954 or 1964. In this case, 1964. The letter "H" is a code for the builder in the factory - not an initial of that person.

All the lumber yard wood in the bottom of the bilge must go. It is just not supposed to be there and is not of decay resistant species. It will rot very quickly.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
thompsonboat@msn.com
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

The pictures show when I click on the link from my message. I don't know why they don't work for you.
Yes the boat came from a boat junk yard, west of Rochester, that the man is calling a fiberglass boat museum. It was the only wood boat on the place.
I have ordered the CD from the canoe site. Hopefully that will give me some pictures to work with.
The lumberyard wood is gone! :D
The previous restoration was apparently accomplished with little regard to keeping the boat original but to make it usable for him. He signed his work with pride :P and a paint brush in 1993 on the bottom side of the rear seat.
Several of the ribs were scarfed in and will need to be replaced along with the keel. The windshield and dash will be addressed as I go. I hope I can at least make it believable as a 1964 when it is done.
I have a feeling the Thompson Dockside is going to know who I am before this project is complete :!:
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Good luck with that boat.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you desire. I will be glad to help.

The '64 Peshtigo Sea Coaster had a padded vinyl covered dashboard. The deck and covering boards were stained and varnished Philippine mahogany plywood.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com