New to Thompsons, what do I have?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59Thompson

New to Thompsons, what do I have?

Post by 59Thompson »

I am getting my mother-in-law's 16' titled 1959 Thompson and interested in learning what model name and number I have. Overall length is 15' 10" bow to transom, Hull # JJ91180, Peshtigo plate serial # 14709, OBC plate rating 1350 lbs, 70HP. I failed to measure the beam, when I was there last Monday. The second seats are a mahogany plank with folding 3 slat back. The yellow original bottom cushions match the yellow hull paint. The short canvas top is original and in solid shape as well.

Engine is a titled 1962 Gale 40HP Sovereign 40DE15BL but hasn't run in awhile. Have picked up the Clymer OMC book and a 61 Gale parts manual, as well as a control set for parts from Ebay.

The trailer is a Moody Mfg Inc of Magnolia MS but am unable to locate a VIN, the plate was stolen and we are presently attempting to obtain a duplicate title and reregister it. NMMA sadly has no records and told me they only keep info for 10 years.

Any information and advice you can provide on the boat, motor and trailer would be greatly appreciated. I just signed up for this website so will be in debt to all who can help. It looks like this will be a great project as well as fun to use. Your website and the links are a great way to learn alot quickly. Also if anyone can tell me how to post the jpg pictures to this I will do so. Regards, John[/img]
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

John
Welcome, I too am a rather new member and have found this forum helpful. One of the suggestions to me was to order the CD from the canoe site that features the Thompson brochures. I just recieved mine a few days ago and your request allowed me a reason to look into its offerings further. I am still unable to post pictures to this site but will figure it out some time. I am sure the more knowledgle people on here will offer more wisdom than I. Here is what I learned based on your info, you may have a 1959 Sea coaster model 473 or 475. The brochure matches with the dimensions that you provided.
The Brochure puts the length at around:
Gunwale... 16'11"
Center Length.... 15'10"
Width Amid....72"
Depth at Bow...39"
Depth at Stern....23"
Number of seats....Two
Depth Amid....32"
Transom Width....60 3/4"
Length of Deck....70"
Standard Color ...White
Load Capacity (OBC) 1350lbs
MO. OBC Motor
Recomendation ......70 hp
Model 473: same as 475, but less Center Deck.
Model 475: Same as 473, but has built in center deck
Option equip, Mahogany Windshield, Ventilated windshield, Hardware, Cushions, Convertible top, Side Curtains, Aft Curtains.
There is also a Thomboy Model 477 that offers more options such as built in Upholstered Seats.
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard John,

For a Peshtigo built Thompson boat, hull ID "JJ91180" indicates the 1,180th boat of ALL models built in the model year ending in 9 - 1949, 1959 or 1969. The letters "JJ" are a code for the guy that was in charge of making this boat. The serial number "14709" indicates 1959 model year. Therefore I conclude you have a 1959 model year boat.

The OBC ratings and centerline length of 15'-10" point to one of the SEA COASTER models. There were three: 477, 475, and 473. From your description she's probably the 475 or 473 model. 475 has storage shelves built into the backs of the front seat backrests.

The seat cushions and top were not standard items on the boat. They would have been accessory extras. Same for the windshield frame. White was the standard colour of the hull for the Sea Coaster in 1959.

The Thompson et.al. brochures can be obtained on CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

Go to www.old-omc.de to see if they have anything on Gale outboards. Otherwise check the JEGO section at www.fiberglassics.com

And to post pictures, you first need to download them onto something like Photobucket or Snapfish. Then you can post them here.

Andreas
59Thompson

Post by 59Thompson »

A belated thank you to Larry B and Andreas. It appears I have the 473 basic seats and bench version. Would either of you have the weight from the catalog for this boat? I know the motor weight from the JEGO site Andreas recommended but don't want to take the motor and boat off the trailer yet. However, in Ohio to obtain a trailer registration I must have a weight for the trailer so if I can also establish the boat's weight, the scale house will give me a weight certificate for the trailer having subtracted the motor and boat based on the documentation I provide. Will be ordering the CD once I have this girl's paperwork straight and she's in our garage. Regards, John
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

John,

I see nothing mentioned about the weight of the boats in the Thompson Peshtigo 1959 catolog.

Looks like you may just have to take the boat off the trailer to get its actual weight.

Phill
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I believe that the '59, 60 ad '61 Seacoaster were all the same... which would put the Seacoaster Runabout model 473, at an estimated 475 lbs with std equipment.