You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Sassy Lass

Post by Sassy Lass »

Hello;

My memberships was approved last night.

In 1950 my parents rented a cabin on Higgins Lake, Michigan. I was 10 YOA. Around the corner was Higgins Lake Boat Yard. They were dealers for Chris - Craft, Century, Thompson, Lyman, Wolverine and some other brands. At every chance I would jump into the rowboat, fire up the 5hp Johnson and speed my way over to the boat yard. That is when I fell in love with the Thompsons. There were many employees working on repairing and refinishing wood boats, mostly the Chris and Centurys. I made myself a promise that someday I would own a Thompson.

In 1963 I was working at Chrysler Engineering in Highland Park, Mi. and making pretty good money. Come September I had saved enough to buy my Thompson. My Uncle Stan was a close friend of Mr. Jim Robbins, the owner of Jim Robins Sporting Goods in Ferndale, Mi. Unc introduced me to Mr. Robbins who in turn introduced me to his chief salesman, Ray. Unc told me, " These guys have been in the buisness a long time and they know what they're talking about. You listen to them."

My original intention was to buy the 15 foot Sea Mate. Ray told me that if I had intentions to go out on the big water I'd be better off with the 17 foot. He took me to his garage where two Sea Coasters had just been delivered and being stored. The windshields were not installed. I listened and chose the Sea Coaster, a Pestigo boat. A 650 Merc, 65 hp and Little Dude trailer. The purchase also included the basic safety and comfort accessories. Ray set me up with two different pitch props and explained how to tell which was the best. At the time I was driving a 61 Chevy Impala maroon and white convertable. The day I picked the boat up they had me pull into the alley where they wired the lights and hooked her up. WOW!!! Did that boat look big compared to my car. I told Ray that I thought I would have been better off to stick with the Sea Mate. He explained that boats always shrink as soon as they get in the water and not to worry.

I was living with my parents. When I got home my dad could'nt wait to check her out. Then he told me she was much to nice to sit outdoors and took his car out of the 1 1/2 car garage. That was her home until I married and had my own garage.

My first day off it was off to Cass Lake in Keego Harbor. I'm 6-3 and at that time weighed 220. My sweet little girl friend, Laura Lee was 5-2 and 100#. We spent all day running around the lake. I was so proud of both the boat and Laura Lee I thought I was going to burst. All went well.
Then came the day we took another couple with us. Then the 650 had to run wide open to get a nice plane. Being a pilot and bomber mechanic with the Air Force I just did not like to run an engine wide open for extended periods.

That winter, 63 - 64 I started thinking bigger engine, maybe the Merc 1000, 100 hp. I wrote Thompson and Mercury and there letters were almost identical. They said the boat was more then enough to handle the Merc 1000 and that more then horsepower the real issue was engine weight and it's effect on the transom. The 63 was rated for 100 hp. In 64 they dropped it to 90 hp which was the cause for my concern. It was explained to me that the National Boat Builder Assn. changed the method by which they figured maximum hp.

Early May found me back at JRSG, money hot in hand. Ray talked me into the Merc 850 telling that was all I needed. O.K., you know more then I do. My first day off found me and Laura Lee back out on Cass Lake. Oh she ran so nice. Much to my surprise there was a guy out there with the identical boat and a Merc 1000. We pulled alongside and talked at length. I told him what Ray had told me. That on this boat I would never see the 15 hp and in this case the 850 would do everything the 1000 would do. That if I was running a 20 or 22 footer then by all means the 1000 would make a difference. We decided to prove the point and have a drag race. He blew me away. We tried several more heats and each time he blew me away. With the Merc 850 I had installed a Sun tach and she was propped correct so pitch was not an issue. The next day off found me a JRSG standing and waiting for them to open. I told Ray the story and that I wanted the Merc 1000. He did the exchange and gave me two different pitch props to try. With the two of us on board the 17 pitch brought the engine right up to 5500 rpm as per specification. I was totally impressed with the difference that extra 15 hp made. An entirely better play thing. Later that summer found me at Higgins Lake Boat Yard doing a trade, my Little Dude for a Pamco trailer.

The boat today is stored in a special garage. The engine spends the winter in the basement.

This Sea Coaster has a teal blue and white vinyl instrument panel. The seats are matching, well padded with teal and blue vinyl. The cockpit sides have liners that look like a heavy duty burlap and are white with about a 10" blue stripe down the middle. They fasten to the floor by being tucked under varnished mahogany strips and screwed down. The floor is a vinyl type material, gray and white and rough in texture.

Not long after the purchase I decided it would be nice to have back to back seats. Someone had wanted a Sea Coaster but JRSG was sold out. They did have the Sea Coaster Special. They took the rear seats out and stored them. So I was very lucky and was able to buy the exact seat that was proper for this boat. Around that same time I bought a Tempo, 15 or 18 gallon fuel tank to mount under the aft deck. The filler is on the aft deck, port side as is the vent/overflow.

I had become acquanted with Fred who owned Fred's Custom Boat Repair on 8 mile and Beech Rd. in Redford, Mi. Fred had been a field rep for Thompson Pestigo for quite a few years and was Mr. Thompson to me. I had him extend the aft deck out over the gas tank. Install a white vinyl curtain that snaps to a mahogany strip screwed to the floor. Then, when I looked aft I would not see that ugly gas tank and battery box detracting from her natural beauty and the almost flat wake that Merc 1000 created.
She's a mover!!!!

Love is my wife Susan and my Thompson. I won't say which is in first place because Sue might read this.

If anyone has questions or comments please feel free to contact me.
Email is kcin@voyager.net.

Thank you very much, for allowing me into your ranks and taking the time to read this. nicholas
Nicholas
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Welcome to the dockside.
I am also a new member and thoroughly enjoyed your post. My interest in Thompson's only started recently with the purchase of my 1964 frankenstein for restoration. My interest in wood boats comes from a long interest in boating and an equally long interest in woodworking. Combining the two is what brought me to the Thompson's. I would enjoy seeing some pictures of yours. My 1964 Sea Coaster was previously rebuilt without attention to original detail and seeing how the floor looks (mine is missing) and the dash configuration is made would be great. I would also like to see the difference in the windshield if any of your pictures show that.
Although I am from Iowa, I am now in Calif. visiting my son. He is a ships captain by trade and is presently a professor for Cal Maritime, teaching in the Marine transportation dept. I spent part of yesterday in Sausalito Ca. visiting a wooden boat shop. They had several wood boats in restoration and in many different stages of completion. I am hoping that I can do almost as well on my Thompson! It is going to be an interesting project.
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
Sassy Lass

Post by Sassy Lass »

Dreamer, aka Larry B.

Regarding the pictures of my 63 Thompson you asked for. I've not sent any yet because I've not been able to establish email communication with you. Sending pictures by email is the only way I know.

I just got a second PM from you with the email address you provided. It won't work.

Please send me an email to, kcin@voyager.net Once I get that we should be off and running.

nicholas
Nicholas