Help me identify oconto cruiser

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

Help me identify oconto cruiser

Post by 240sxguy »

http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/1368919264.html

Is this a reasonable deal?

Curious as to insight on this boat. One concern is the pair of seats. Is it possible to safely seat 6 or so if appropriate seating was installed?

Thanks!

Evan
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Evan,
That is a very reasonable price for that boat if ribs and keel are solid. That homelite is almost worth that alone. This boat is not a good choice for 6 adults, maybe 4 and a couple of kids and that would be crowded. This is a great boat for a couple.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Thanks a lot for the information, I should go check it out. My fiance' and I are the main users of the boat but we have friends who we would like to take with us.. hence the dilemma.

That motor is that valuable?

Sounds like it is at least worth going to see.

The real problem here is that I think I really need a boat that will seat 6, and not need 3' of water to run in. Our lake up north is down so far that I would have to anchor it 25' from shore to keep it in that much water! Any insight here? I have no clue how much water these babies need.

I appreciate it.

Evan
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Cosmetically she looks nice. But who knows what her bones look like. If you go look at her, take up the floor boards and inspect the keelson, stringers, and ribs - especially where the ribs meet the keelson.

Look for the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. This will verify the year. Don't trust titles, registrations, bill of sales and memories of sellers to be accurate.

Six adults would be very uncomfortable in that boat. Four adults would be max. Imagine putting in the boat your cooler full of beverages, a picnic basket, the water skis and tow rope and you'll get very crowded.

The TeeNee trailer is cool and in itself has become a collector's item. The Homelite motor is a 4 stroke and some folks love them. Parts are not as readily available as a typical OMC or Mercury or Scott of the period. There just were not that many Homelite outboards built.

You certainly would not want to run the boat in less than 3 feet of water.

A boat like this is wonderful and will give an owner years of fun.

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

That's a neat looking boat and certainly worth the price, but if you're set on having room for 6 people, I think you should find a bigger boat. Also, any boat that will comfortably handle 6 people will need more than 3' of water (unless you buy a pontoon boat).

PS: That boat looks pretty original (including period motor and trailer). Even if you were dead set on fitting 6 people, you'd have to modifiy it with extra seating.

Just my opinion.
Verne :)
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Okay, I agree with you guys that 6 will be a tough fit. Seems maybe thompson just won't work for me at this point. Seating for 4 is not big enough. You guys have any recommendations?

I don't intend on operating the boat in 3' of water, but would need to be able to get it (carefully) to an area where it could be docked, even if at a snails pace.

Thanks everyone.

Evan
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

All the various Thompson related boat firms made larger boats that could handle 6 bodies.

A 1963 Thompson of Peshtigo Off-Shore Deluxe 20'-4" inboard outboard is sitting in Albert Lea, MN waiting for a new home. I can provide more information (privately). This would work for 6 adults.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Andreas, thanks for the lead and the consultation via email.

Evan