I believe a 63 Seacoaster

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Darrell Van Eck

I believe a 63 Seacoaster

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

By the looks of other boats I have seen on line, and desciptions I believe I have a seacoatser, but I would like to know for sure.

The boat measures 16' from bow tip to transom.
All wood windshield.
Steel plate on the inside of the transom, numbers are 22601.
The numbers in the wood at the transom are, ( I believe very hard to read ) A 21892 M.
It is a single bench seat.
Horse power rating is 85hp.

If there is any other information needed please let me know.

Thanks Darrell
Darrell Van Eck
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi, on that serial number plate, what EXACTLY and COMPLETLY does it say? This is VERY important.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

If and only IF this is a boat made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. at Peshtigo, WI and not one of the other firms, this is the deciphering of the hull ID A 21892 M:

A = builder (in this case Bill Luedtke)
2 = last digit of year of manufacture (could be 1952 or 1962)
1,892 = the 1,892nd boat made in that year
M= trimmer

If she is a 1962 boat, the measurements for the SEA COASTER models are: 16'-6" centerline length; 18'-1" gunwale length; 80" beam/width; 63" transom width; 85 HP maximum; 1,575 pounds maximum capacity.

In 1962 the Model 473 Sea Coaster Runabout has a single front seat with open slat storage units behind the seat backs. Model 475 Sea Coaster Special has back-to-back wood framed seats with storage compartments in the seat backs and under the seats.

Andreas
Darrell Van Eck

Thanks for the reply Andreas!

The metal plate says, Thompson Bros. Boat MFG. Co. Peshtigo, WIS.
Serial NO. 22601

I will re-measure tonight. What do you mean by gunwhale measurement?

The front seat is like many others I have seen pictures of, it is all fabric covered even the back sides of the seat backs. There is no storage in the seat backs, I have seen these same seats with back to back seats to them. There is storage in the seat bottom.

I will try to read the numbers again in the hull to be sure what it says.

Thanks again.
Darrell Van Eck
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Darrell,

Can you post some pictures? It would make this more interesting for us bystanders.

I think the gunwale measurement is along the top-most lap from the point of the bow to where it meets the transom.

Jim
Darrell Van Eck

Jim:

Yes I can do pictures, except the boat is up-side down right now in my garage. I would not be able to show much other than a bare hulled Thompson.

That is one thing I can look at bare hulled with out getting in trouble!

In regards to the hull measurement, do mean measure the under side from where the stem meets the bow deck, to the transom measuring down the top of the keel?

Thanks
Darrell Van Eck
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

measure where the rub rail would go
Darrell Van Eck

Ok, some new measurements.

Gunwhale 18' plus a couple inches, hard to measure when your younger son is helping.

Width at the widest area, I had down at 79", but again that could very a little.

Transom width 63"

Numbers burned in the hull, little change to the first set, younger eyes checking, A21602M.

The weight capacity is 1575, and 85hp.

Thanks
Darrell Van Eck
a j r

Post by a j r »

With the hull ID A 21602 M and the serial number plate which says it was made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI, you have the 1,602nd boat made in the year 1962. Bill Luedtke was the builder and "M" was the trimmer (I don't know the who was assigned the code "M", Bill Luedtke was "A").

The OBC ratings indicate she is a SEA CAOSTER series. The Sea Coaster Runbabout model 473 has a full width plank front seat with open storage compartment inteh back of the back rests. Model 475 Sea Coaster Special has wooden framed back-to-back seats.

Gunwale length is 18'-1" and centerline length is 16'-6" with transom width of 63" and beam (widest part of boat at level of deck) of 80".

Andreas