Do You Recognize This Early Thompson Boat Decal ?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tcvc

Do You Recognize This Early Thompson Boat Decal ?

Post by tcvc »

Do You Recognize This Thompson Decal ? I'm trying to determine the year of my boat. I found this decal under a coat of red paint on the center of the dash, have you ever seen it before?? Any information you have would be helpful.
Thank You for looking............

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... g&newest=1
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

Is there a metal plate on the dash with a serial # or look on the inside of the transom for some letters and numbers stamped into the wood. Other items that might help would be length and width and a pic of the boat.
Ken
Fairhope, AL
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

OK, so I just looked at your other post in which you listed everything. Sorry for not looking. Is there a splash well on the transom. One of my thompsons had the hull number stamped under it and I did not find it until it was removed.
Ken
Fairhope, AL
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

no metal plate or any identifing numbers on the entire boat (went over everything witha black light) It is my understanding that the early Thompsons (pre 1940) did not have hull IDs.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Guys & Gals,

From what I was able to determine and advise Tim is this model boat is a Thompson "Family Speedabout-V Type-Smooth Built" which were built sometime between 1928 to 1935, according to the literature on the Thompson CD from Dragonflycanoe.

Tim is trying to narrow down the exact year, if at all possible.

Also the decal in his photo is the first of it's type I have ever seen on any of the Thompson boats. All the boats I have ever had or seen have a metal rectangular plate with the Thompson name and plant location on them.

Phill
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

In regards to Phil’s post, his knowledge and expertise in regarding Thompson Boats has been very helpful to me and I am thankful that he has invested the time in to researching my boat and identify it. That being said he is right my quest now is to determine or narrow down even more the year this boat was manufactured. I am still hopeful that someone out there somewhere will recognize this particular decal and help me out.
Thank You
Tim
Phill Blank wrote:Guys & Gals,

From what I was able to determine and advise Tim is this model boat is a Thompson "Family Speedabout-V Type-Smooth Built" which were built sometime between 1928 to 1935, according to the literature on the Thompson CD from Dragonflycanoe.

Tim is trying to narrow down the exact year, if at all possible.

Also the decal in his photo is the first of it's type I have ever seen on any of the Thompson boats. All the boats I have ever had or seen have a metal rectangular plate with the Thompson name and plant location on them.

Phill