1964 Sportsman

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

1964 Sportsman

Post by Dan Wolf »

I am going to look at a 1964 sportsman next Monday. I have never heard of this model. Owner said it didn't have wood seats only two pedastel seats. Would this model have come with seats or was that up to the owner. This guy said this model was only built in 1964. True or not. He has the boat taken apart already. I guess he was going to do some work on it and found more than he bargained for. He's including a 61 Evinrude Starflite III. 75 HP I think he's pricing it at about 400.00. Its on e-bay under "thompson wooden project boat". Take a peak and let me know what you think...Dan
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I assisted the owner identify that boat soon after he obtained it several years ago. It is a 1964 Sportsman. I can't recall the length.

The Sportsman line was introduced by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. for the 1964 model year. It was an entry level line. It came in 4 lengths and these boats had fewer factory accessories installed and they had less costly seating, etc... Hardware was lower quality.

They came with wooden seating, not pedestal seats, from the factory. But there were no storage compartments like the regular line.

Thompson created a seperate flyer for the 1964 Sportsman line. It is on the CD-ROM. The Sportsman line appears in the 1965 price list but not in any 1965 brochures.

Andreas
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Thanks for the information. I hope it looks good enough to restore...Dan
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Well I checked her out and it looked pretty bad. Whole bottom rotted out, 90 % of the ribs had deteriorated. Front deck shot. Transom bad half way down. The only thing that looked worth pulling to sell was the Dash Board. Too bad. Too bad people let these boats get that bad. Looked like it was left outside uncovered for 5 years.