Possible Barn Find

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TheCaptain

Possible Barn Find

Post by TheCaptain »

Hello All,

I've come accross a nice little Cruisers Inc all dust covered out in a country barn- looks to be 13'-15' in length. The boat doesn't have a trailor. Currently it is sitting right side up on a cement floor leaning to port side (no support blocks or anything). He's moved it around every once and a while over the last 20 years. I'm not sure how long it has been resting in it's current position. Couple of questions:

1) Would this warp the hull out of shape?

2) Is there a good way to tell if that is the case?

I know it's probably hard to tell, depends on many variables and is most likely restorable. While looking it over my novice eye didn't notice anything obvious. The wood itself looks in great condition. Seems to have all the hardware (minus windsheild).

Any info would be helpful. I'm thinking about picking this little gem up and don't want to step in anything knee deep.

Thanks!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Being improperly supported certainly can twist or warp the hull out of her correct shape. It may be possible that she has kept her shape all these years.

Only way to determine her correct shape is to get her properly supported and take measurments. She should be symmetrical about the centerline.

Any old boat acquisition is a gamble, even more so if she hasn't been stored correctly for a period of time.

Andreas
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Thanks for the reply.

Kind of figured as much but needed to hear it. This one is much smaller than my Super Lancer so it may be a bit easier for this first timer. It is a nice lookin' little boat.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll shoot over the hull ID stamp/dims when I get 'em; for your records.

Thanks again,

Eric
TheCaptain

Hull ID...

Post by TheCaptain »

Andreas,

This Cruisers Inc. hull ID appears to be, 911817. He thinks it's early 60's but I'm thinking '59?

It's 15'6" in length with an approximate 71" beam.

It does have an obc plate but I don't have those numbers at this time.

I don't think there's a serial number plate or it's missing.

In my opinion it looks very similar to this:

http://www.thompsondockside.com/views/v ... c&start=45

Let me know if there's any other info you need to figure this one out!

As always- thanks a million! :D
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Probably a 1959 Seafarer which is 15'-9 1/2" centerline length with 16'-8" gunwale length and 71 inch beam. There was a model 200 and model 202 Sea Farer. 202 was more deulxe.

Andreas
TheCaptain

Cruisers Pics...

Post by TheCaptain »

Andreas,

I finally went for it and took the plunge on this one. That way I can work on a boat and still have the Thompson to hit the lake with in the mean time.

Here are some pictures of this possible '59. I'd like to be fairly sure of the year as I'm going to have a title created. Let me know what you think or if the link doesn't work:

[img]http://img821.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=c ... inc001.jpg

The shot angles are a little tight because it's in a pretty confined area. Let me know if additional or specific pics are needed.

Somebody definitely coated this thing with something. Looks like some fiberglass peeling off the outboard side of the transom below water line. The lapstrakes have a reddish color to them like they were coated in something and sanded. Also there are resin drips along the gunnels as if somebody flipped it, poured the resin on & let is drip off. All of the parts seem to be there but disassembled.

The inner keel and all of the ribs look like they're in great condition. The boat seems to be symmetrical.

Also picked up a Johnson Super Sea Horse that the previous owner thought would be a good match.

Let me know what you (or ya'll) think. As always thanks for the info!

Eric[/img]
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nice boat. Difficult to tell what she is, year and model wise from the pictures. Hull ID and dimensions are necessary.

What is the big hole in the middle of the dashboard? Cannon mount? If you want a simple fix to make a "new" dashboard, cover up the existing one with a 1/4" thick sheet of Meranti or Okume plywood. Glue and screw it. I did that to one boat I restored. Worked out very nicely. Make sure you keep the "Cruisers, Inc." tag on the dash and remount it.

Andreas
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Thanks.

You already gave me 59 Seafarer, based on dims & hull ID (earlier in thread), and she looks like that in the catalogue. I just thought the pictures would be good just in case there's anything else you might notice. She was sold to me as a '68. I've gotta have a new title created too and would like to be sure. '59 it is!?

About that Cruisers tag- it has the radius of that cannon mount cut out of the bottom of it. It's mostly there though. Thanks for the tip on quick dash fix. Not sure you could see but on the port side of the dash there's a rectangular cutout too- looks like a radio was mounted there.

Also, she didn't come with a windshield. I assumed it would be the curved glass type. The catalogue shows a wood window frame. Looking at the deck it could probably have been either.

Anywho, I'll keep in touch with this project but I'm sure it'll be slow goin'.

Thanks again,

EE
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Definately NOT a 1968 model year boat. Cruisers, Inc. did not make any wood boats after 1966.

My guess is that with the hull ID and hull shape etc... she is indeed a 1959 model year boat. Dimensions given earlier probably indicate a Seafarer model. Looks like she has just plain back rests for the front seat, no storage compartments built into them. This is a sign of the simpler model, the model 200.

Windshield was an option. It was not standard from the factory. The dealer could order as an extra either a wooden framed windshield or a wrap-around glass one. Or the dealer could order it without any windshield and then install their own brand.

Yup, I noticed the radio cut out in the dash.

Good luck!

Andreas