New Member First Restoration

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

THE LAKE

New Member First Restoration

Post by THE LAKE »

Hello, Just joined today and am excited about gathering information to use in my 1st restoration effort. I am still learning the proper names for things, so forgive me if I misname something. I recently purchased a Cruiser's Inc runabout. The owner stated it was a 1965. The registration states it is 19ft, but I believe it to be 18ft. It has blue vinyl coated canvas on all of the weather surfaces and had curtains that covered the interior hull sides. The windshield assembly is wood as is the front seat with storage cabinets behind each seatback. The pictures I've seen of restored boats like this one had a rear bench seat. Mine does not. I bought it for $500 with a running Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor motor and a serviceable trailer. The trailer needs to have blast and paint and rewiring. I've already replaced the tires and tubes and packed the bearings. The boat itself is in good shape (No, I didn't have it surveyed) there is no rot or even soft places in the hull. The primary areas of concern for wooden restoration are the windshield assembly, the rear bench seat and the top of one of the front seat storage cabinets. The steering wheel is frozen in place and the dash panels have seen better days. Lastly, I have one Cruiser's Inc hull emblem in poor condition and the one on the dash is not very good either. So I'd say I've got my work cut out for me. I have tried in vain to find the hull number but so far no luck. Perhaps it is behind the bilge pump which is bolted to the inner transom on the Stbd side.
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I had intended in my initial post to ask if anyone knew if this boat has a model name and especially if anyone else on the forum owns one.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

Need to get more information to identify the model and year.

Hull ID is necessary to verify the year. It is stamped into the transom inside the boat, starboard side usually, upside down sometimes, covered up by some component added to the transom sometimes. It may also be on a small metal strip nailed to the outside of the hull about midships just under the gunwale. Can't recall if it is on port or starboard side. It gets painted over so if it's there, it may be difficult to see.

Accurate measurements and photos are required to ID the model (once the year is established). centerline length, gunwale length, width/beam, transom width. Colour scheme is helpful.

To post photos, you must first upload them to a hosting site such as photobucket.com or fliker. Then cut and paste them into your post here.

There is no easy means to identify these boats. It takes some effort.

Rear seat was typically an option, not a standard item.

Brochures are available for purchase on CD-ROM at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com. The Thompson Bros. Boat CD has the brochures for Cruisers, Inc.

I do not see any 18 foot length boats in the 1965 Cruisers, Inc. literature. In 1964 the Commander model 302 was 17'-11" centerline length. The Adventurer model 262 was 17'-3" centerline length.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I couldn't agree more on the need for more information Andreas. It seems somehow I've got to find the hull ID. At this point what I know for sure is that I've seen at least three examples of my boat on various forums and all have stated 1965. I've measured my boat from the tip of the bow to the backside of the transom and have come up with 18ft almost to the 1/8th inch. The breadth is 86". The unique feature of the vinyl coated canvas on weather surfaces and fabric interior curtains covering up the hull structure is also an identifyer. Still that elusive hull number should settle the discussion once and for all. Fortunately for me, this boat was purchased with the long haul in mind. Two, three years - - whatever, I intend to take it slow, learn from the experts like yourself and all the other good folks here and on Wooden Boat (and other forums) and keep my ego in check, my mind open and (mostly) my mouth shut.

Brian
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Vinyl covered deck and covering boards was the standard on Cruisers, Inc. boats starting in 1962 models. The cockpit hull liners were also typical after circa 1961.

The Commander model had nearly the same dimensions in 1962, 1963 and 1964 with centerline length of 17'-11", 19'-2" gunwale length, 85" beam and 71" transom width. Gunwale length was 19'-5" in 1963 and transom width of 72". Appears as if they added more flare to the hull/deck. She probably had these latter dimensions in 1964.

The 1962 model had storage cabinets with hinged doors in the backs of the front seats. The 1963 and 1964 model had sorta open area behind the seats, no hinged doors.

The Commander 17'-11' boat is not in the 1965 literature.

Myabe the transom was replaced previously and the hull ID was lost?

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Andreas, it's beginning to sound like I've got a 1962 from the information you're providing me, Mine has storage cabinets with doors behind the front seats and the measurements match what you've listed here. I don't believe the transom has been replaced. What I think is that with my physical issues, I have not been able to get down under the rear motor well area closely enough to truly look for the stamped in ID #. The metal strip you mentioned on the hull was there but totally deteriorated and only held together with paint. When I tried to gently scrape off the paint to find a number the whole plate crumbled.
I just came in from one of the more pleasurable mornings I've had in awhile. The beautiful 1967 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor that came with the boat/motor/trailer deal roared to life and after a few minutes to clear itself, settled down into the snarky, snarly rumble common to these old big inch two stroke outboards. I had a 55 gallon drum with the top cut off that I had filled a few inches above the cav plate to ensure that the intake was well into the water, put a big marine battery from my MACH I Challenger into it, some fresh gas and fired her up. I'd pulled the plugs and cleaned the carb prior to giving it a try. It fired almost from the 1st turn of the key but took a minute or two to finally catch and stay running. To say I am pleased would be an understatement.
I also (what a day) cleaned up the one Cruiser's Inc hull emblem that came with the boat and I believe it's solid enough for somebody to make a mold from. Does anyone know of a firm that does this type of work ? The dash emblem is crusty but I believe I can clean it up and refinish it.

Brian
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Look at ebay auctions for emblems. They pop up once in a while. This is a simpler solution thatn trying to reproduce one.

Make sure you put a new water pump impeller in the motor before running it any more. This is just basic maintenance.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I'd appreciate it if one of the members could post a couple of pictures of the hull and dash emblems showing the correct colors they are supposed to be painted. As I said, I believe I can possibly restore the ones I have and will hunt for one (or more) on E-Bay but in the interim would like to know exactly what they're supposed to look like. As to the motor, it will be going to Sonny's on Pope Rd in Windham ME next spring. Nobody better with old outboards than Sonny and I suspect that this one needs to have the carbs torn down and rebuilt as well as aforementioned impellor. Also, I want Sonny to go over the entire motor. It truly seems like a jewel of a motor and as such, I'm not going to shade tree mechanic (me) it.

Brian
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

OK, I've searched from one end of this boat to another, scanned every single square inch of the transom inside and out and have not found any hull ID. The transom has not been replaced either. There is a cross brace bolted to the transom that supports the motor well that might be obscuring it or it could be below the deck line. What I can say is that the dimensions are exactly what Andreas stated 17'-11" centerline length, 7'-1" beam, 5'-11" transom width and a total length of 19'-2" along the gunwale. The boat has doors on the cabinets behind the front seats, did not come with a rear seat. It has a medium blue vinyl coated canvas covering on the entire topside with a light blue same material strip in the middle of the foredeck and a short section above the motor well. The entire interior deck is the same medium blue. The sides of the boat had a heavy jute backed cotton fabric similar to old auto headliners covering the interior of the hull. The seats were color matched to the vinyl on the weather surfaces. The windshield was wooden frame and hinged out (forward) There was a compass in the middle of the dash along with a spotlight. Instruments were strictly a speedo and tach. Cruiser's Inc emblem on the dash and hull sides (rear) Orginal color appears to have been all natural finish interior and white sides on the hull exterior. There was a convertible top that folded down (forward) against the top of the windshield with attachment points at the rear of the triangular side section of the windshield. Construction is lapstrake (canoe style) with no thawrtships's frames and only three longitudinal stringers with cross strips to screw the deck "plates' to. Keel is three piece full length. Material appear sto be mahogany for lapstrake, seating and cabinets with unknown plywood under the vinyl. Exposed plywood appears to be mahogany. stringers look to be fir perhaps Douglas ? Dash was padded. Very large bow light and unusual cleats that screw up from below with open sections in the centers. Brass drain hole with plug for hull and two brass drain holes for motor well. Aluminum strips along gunwales and interior to hold vinyl down. Fittings on windhshield brass, cleats etc on boat, chromed pot metal. Real Glass in two forward and two side windshield sections. And that's about it. So somebody tell me if it's a 65 as the previous owner claims (and his NH registration states) or a 62. I'll go with whatever. I'd just like to get it correct.

Thanks
Brian
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Could be a 1962 Commander 302-V. There is no way to be 100% certain without the boat's hull ID.

There was no 17'-11" boat in the 1965 literature.

Plywood for planking is Douglas fir/larch most likely. Maybe Philippine mahogany ply on the exposed surfaces. Steam bent ribs and keelson and stringers are most likely white oak. "Bright" work (windhshield frame, seats, transom, inwales) is solid Philippine mahogany.

The holes in the cleats are for integral mooring lines that were on a spring loaded spool. The lines were integral to the boat and rewound onto the spool. This was unique to Cruisers, Inc. boats.

Compass and spotlight were not standard items from the factory. The dash instruments were also not standard. All these items could be ordered as accessories. Or they were installed at the dealership. Seat upholstery was not standard but could be ordered as an accessory.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Well it seems to me that it'd be a safe bet to say my boat is NOT a 65. And therein lies my 1st major lesson in wooden boats. That just because the seller assumes the boat is a certain year and yeah even though he/she might hold a valid boat registration from a given state which states clearly that the boat is a certain year, one cannot be sure without 1st verifying the hull number. This is a phenomana I've not experienced before. Glass boats have the hull number prominently stamped into the transom. It is easy to find and easy to verify. This Cruiser's Inc is my 1st foray into the world of wooden boats. I intend someday before I am too old to enjoy it to have a Chris Craft Sportsman of at least 24ft or more if such a boat was made. It will be OEM correct in every way and be named for my mother "Miss Gertrude " I've never paid homage to my Mom in any way for all she's done for me, my wife and children throughout her 85 years on God's green earth. Ok, I digress. Reading your post Andreas, I can only wonder about the examples of boats on the internet in various boating forums stating 65 that are exactly like mine with the cabinet doors behind the front seats and other features. As we say in Maine C'est la vie. On another note, since hopefully I've got somebody's attention here. The compass is broken, the spotlight has seen better days and the spools for the cleats are long gone. I know, I know E-Bay, but on the off chance that maybe I'm in the middle of a lucky streak, if anyone can provide me with a source for used Cruiser's parts/accessories please post. Those of you still enjoying your boats in the water, enjoy a ride for me, all of mine are either on trailers or on the beach soon to be stored for the winter. Be safe out there and remember - - - - There Be Dragons

Brian
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Now that I know where I stand with this boat (abeit there's still a few hidden surprises I'm sure) I am planning how I'm going to do the restoration. For the winter, the boat will come off the trailer, sit on keel blocks with boat jacks under the stern and below the front seat. Next spring, I plan on removing the motor and flipping the boat over in order to scrape the hull to bare wood and check it for any damaged perhaps hidden by what looks like red lead bottom paint. I've seen pictures of boats upside down on different forums and am not sure what the proper procedure is for supporting the boat in this position. Any help ?

Brian
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I wrote in our very first communication that paperwork for boats and memory of sellers are notorious for being inaccurate.

There was NO federal or state requirement for boats to have ID's until November 1972. That's when the US Coast Guard universal system of MIC (Manufacturer's Identification Code) became effective. So any boat built prior to that time (wood, fiberglass, steel, aluminum, sealskin or whatever) did NOT have to have any type of ID on it. It was up to each individual boat building firm to have their own system, if any. They didn't have to have ID on their boats.

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. started making boats in 1904. They did not start putting ID on their products until 1946 or 1947. As far as I know, Cruisers, Inc. started using hull ID's on their boats from their start up in late 1953.

Chris-Craft had a very rigid hull ID system dating back to the 1920s. And all their build records still exist. They are the exception. NO records for hull IDs or serial numbers exists for Thompson Boat. Cruisers Yachts has records starting about 1961, but nothing for any of their boats built prior to that time.

There are a number of threads in this forum about flipping boats and temporary support.

Parts sources: ebay, craigs list, antique and classic boat shows and swap meets, Antique Outboard Motor Club events, flea markets, antique stores, old marinas, boat graveyards, boats to canabalize...

I needed some small "Thompson" chromed metal hullside logos for a restoraiton project a few years ago. I ended up purchasing an entire boat just to get the logos from it. I in turn then sold that boat, without the logos.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

My question today is about the trailer that came with my Cruiser's Inc. I've seen several of this same boat and all had the same trailer. It is a very unique trailer in that it has a couple of special features. A) it breaks in the middle when you pull a rod B) it has a lever that raises and lowers the rear bunks and C) it has a jack assembly built onto the Stbd rear corner of the trailer. 1st off, who made these trailers ? Is there any info available on them. Mine has only surface rust and scale and I intend to redo it but I can see that somebody messed with the bunks for one thing. Another is that it needs new rollers. Other than that, new wiring which is not a big deal and a new coupling, again not a big deal. Can anyone clue me in on what I've got here for a trailer ?

Brian
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There are a bunch of vintage boat trailer brochures in the "Classic Library" section of www.fiberglassics.com

Tilt trailers were very common. Gator trailers and several other brands had the bunk leveler.

trailerpartsdepot.com has lots of trailer stuff.

Andreas