My new Thompson

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Paulo

My new Thompson

Post by Paulo »

I've been looking at this site for a while as I gathered information and went shopping for a new wooden boat to play with. I finally bought what I think is a 1961 Thompson Seacoaster. Hopefully some of you smart people can help me with some initial questions. Here goes: First of all am I right about the model and year? The brass id plate says Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc Cortland, New York Serial #12547 the same number is burned on the transom 12547. The boat is 16' long and has a 6' beam. I'll try to attach a couple of pictures.
The second question is about the interior layout of the boat. There is a bench seat in the front of the boat (mahogany) but no other seats. Is this common and were there other model of this year that had rear seating? If so what was the configuration?
I guess that's all for now. You'll probably see more of me on the restoration forums!
Thanks for your help.
Paul

Imagehttp://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a40 ... ompson.jpg
Life is too short to own an ugly boat
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nice boat and welcome aboard!

Looks like a Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. product. The half stained/varnished shearstrake and stylized "T" at the bow are signs of a post 1959 Cortland boat. So is the windshield frame and seatbacks. That hullside logo was first used in 1960.

Your serial number tag is good indication of the builder too!

Sadly, the Cortland plant changed their serial/hull ID system several times after 1959. It is difficult to tell you the year from these numbers.

Yup, she is the Sea Coaster model.

Front seats were standard. Rear seat was an option. In the 1960 models the rear seat with backrest was $40.00 extra for the Sea Coaster.

Andreas