Sea Lancer center console?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Hopper

Sea Lancer center console?

Post by Hopper »

I have a 17' Thompson Bros. of Peshtigo hull number 24332. I am guessing this boat has been "remodeled” at some point because she has a walk around center console with a v-berth setee forward and small bench seat aft. Powered by a '77 Merc 1150. Any thoughts if it was factory built this way or is it a previous owner's vision? Is it a Sea Lancer?

Many thanks
Matt

Go Pack
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. never made a wooden boat with a center console. I am picturing something like a Boston Whaler.

We need more information to assist you. Is your boat wooden or fiberglass? If wooden, is it plywood lapstrake? or some other type of hull construction? Is the number "24332" the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom or is it the serial number on a plate that says serial number?

What is the centerline length and gunwale length? What is the maximum width/beam? What is the width of the transom? Any identifying marks or plates or badges on the boat?

Pictures are very helpful. You'll have to cut and paste them from something like photobucket to work here.

Brochures for Thompson Boat et.al. are available for purchase on CD-ROM at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Andreas
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

Thanks!
OK here is what I found
-Wooden with plywood lapstrake.
-The number 24332 is on a brass plate.
-CL 17'-0"
-Gunwale 18'-0"
-Transom 5'-8" widest
-Beam 7'-0"
-And a snapshot

From what the previous owner told me she spent a lot of time on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. I am not sure when the remodel was done. Any thoughts on original power?
Matt
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Definately NOT an original Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. She appears to be a former 1963 Sea Lancer.

The serial number falls within the 1963 model year range for Peshtigo built boats. If there is a hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, that can confirm the year. Hull ID and serial number are different on Peshtigo built boats.

The Sea Lancer that year was 17'-2" centerline length; 18'-6" gunwale length; 84 inches wide and 69 inch transom width.

The Sea Coaster series was 16'-7" centerline length and 18'-1" gunwale length in 1963 with 80 inch beam and 63 inch transom width.

She was rated for up to 110 HP. The boat manufacturer did not install a motor on the transom. That would have been done at a dealership. Therefore, whatever outboard motors were on the market at the time the boat hit a dealer is a possible candidate for being placed on this boat.

Bring her up to the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally 24-26 June 2011 at Marinette, WI. No judging and no awards. Therefore the modifcations from original will be just fine with everyone.

Andreas
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

Thanks for all the info! I'll try and make it to Marinette boat or no boat.
Matt
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I think it's cool. Can we see pictures of the interior?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

Here ya go. There are v-berth type seats forward that are not assembled.
john

Post by john »

Nice modification!
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I like this modification but I have a question for the experts on the site. As I understand it, orginally this boat had a forward deck that tied the two gunwalkes together at from the dash all the way forward to the forepeak. When that section of the boat was removed, what did it do to the athwartships structural integrity of the boat ? It seems reasonable to assume that there would need to be some sort of stiffening done with regard to the covering boards to prevent the hull from flexing excessively.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I bet she's a little floppy side to side compared to original construction. Maybe the covering boards were beefed up during the changes which may have helped.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

LancerBoy wrote:I bet she's a little floppy side to side compared to original construction. Maybe the covering boards were beefed up during the changes which may have helped.

Andreas
In the photos the covering boards look pretty thick 20/4 at least.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Yeah I bet it's floppy. The seats mentioned earlier in the thread should help that. The Frames look really good from what I can see in the pics. Cool boat.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware