My 1960 Thompson

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

EDsBoat

My 1960 Thompson

Post by EDsBoat »

I have a 1960 Sea Lancer, Hull ID #C92412D Ser. # 15810. Made in Peshtigo Wis. Any idea of what the hull color could have been? It's white and copper bottom now. Did this model have the blue field behind the Thompson logo? Any info would help.
Thanks ED
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I am sure Andreas will correct me if I am wrong, but according to your hull number you have a 1959 Sea Lancer. The first number in the hull number is the last digit of the year of production of a Peshtigo Thompson (9). The next 4 are the number that the boat is in the line of production at the Peshtigo plant (2412). I also have a 1959 Sea Lancer. When I bought it, it was registered as a 1962 model. Andreas informed me of the mistake and said it happens all the time with boats of this age. There wasn't a whole lot of care taken back then to be correct with this type of info. Mine is also white and always has been. The bottom was also copper, but since I don't leave it in the water I didn't need the anti-fouling paint. The background behind the Thompson logo is also blue. If the deck hatch is flush with the deck that also proves it is a '59.
Welcome to the web site, and I guarantee you will get any and all questions answered by alot of very helpful people.

Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yup, she's a 1959 model year boat. Not a 1960.

C92412D indicates she is the 2,412th boat of all models made in the 1959 model year. C was the builder and D was the trimmer (codes for the guys in charge of making this boat).

Serial number 15810 also falls within the 1959 model year range. This was B. E.'s boat at one time, according to my database!

Another way to tell if she is a 59 vs 60 is the front deck hatch. In '59 it's just flat piece of plywood flush with the deck. In '60 it has a built up lip and projects above the adjacent deck.

Lemonade yellow was the standard hull colour for the '59 Sea Lancer. White was optional from the factory. You can get the correct Lemonade yellow paint form George Kirby, Jr. Paint Company at New Bedford, Mass. And yes, there should be a blue parallelogram behind the chromed hullside logos.

I restored and sold a 59 Peshtigo Sea Lancer a few years ago. You can see pictures on my facebook page "andreas rhude" along with several other boats in my life!

Cheerio and good luck! And come to the Thompson Boat Rally 24-26 June 2011 at Marinette, WI.

Andreas
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Thank you, I would like to know the past owners and any info they could provide. If any are out there lets get in touch. I'm not restoring the boat, all it needs is refinishing. The transom has been replaced and bottom in great shape. Its going to be a user, if I get the engine running correct.
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Lancer boy, What can you tell me about Bob Speltz 1954 Chetek ? I saw this boat in Arnolds Park and Mount Dora. Who is the owner? We had one just like it in southern Wisconsin / Northern ILL.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The Chetek AquaFlyer boat once owned by Mr. Bob Speltz is currently owned by Stan Peterson. He has it on permanent loan to the Iowa Great Lakes Maritime Museum at Arnolds Park, Iowa.

I assisted in the original retoration of the boat a number of years ago. Tt was a project of the Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society. Sadly, after disassembly and making some new wood pieces the group lost interest. Stan Peterson took possesion of it again and completed the restoration. He was the owner back at that time as well.

Andreas
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Thank You. Do you know How I can get in touch with Stan?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Stan and Darlene Petersen - winter in Mt. Dora, FL area. Note the "e" lieu of "o"

Andreas
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Thank you.
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Do you have any pictures of the interior of your 1959.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Should be some on my facebook page "andreas rhude"

Here's one that sorta shows the interior:

Andreas
EDsBoat

Post by EDsBoat »

Beautiful, Yes, that's what I have. This winter I'm going to strip and refinish. Hull sound and new transom. Just need to decide on color. What year and size is the Johnson?
Classicboats4me

Post by Classicboats4me »

I like how the hull numbers are placed on this boat. This one of the things that my 80 year old father and I will talk about at a Boat show. Every state may have different rules. This looks good .
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I do not know the year and HP of the Johnson outboard. My guess is late 1970s or early 1980s. I restored the boat and then sold it without a motor. This is a picture of it after I sold her.

In Minnesota, boats 1959 and older do NOT have to have the regsitration permanetly mounted to the boat. However, they along with the decal must be on some type of display board and be displayed while the boat is in the water.

On my '57 Thompson Sea Lancer I have 'em mounted to a stained and varnished board that is screwed to the hull. S & V'ed same as the deck etc... It is simple to remove but I have never removed 'em other than to paint the hull.

Andreas
Classicboats4me

Post by Classicboats4me »

I have owned boats that had individual plastic numbers and letters. Back in the 50's it was also a popular thing to do. Most marina's had these in stock. Each digit was attached with two small nails. Anyone else remember this ?

Here is a picture showing a wood board and what looks to be the plastic letters. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/2831480997/
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/