Trailering a Take-Along

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Mike J

Trailering a Take-Along

Post by Mike J »

I am in the process of restoring a Thompson Take-Along. I intend to trailer it. Could I put an eye bolt in the bow to load and unload or should I use some other method?
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Mike,
We like pictures!!! And the details inside the bow will help get you your answer. :D
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Mike,

Yes, you can add a bow eye to your take-a-long. Infact in the 1950 Thompson literature one is shown on their 14 footer on page 17.
From what you can see in the photo the bow eye is located at the center of the spray rails on the bow stem. That is the same position the bow eyes are located on my two Thompson TVT Super Deluxe Runabouts.

Most of the bow eyes I have seen on the Thomspon TVT's are hot dipped galvanized cast or forged style of eye bolts with a opening size of 1" I.D. and 3/8" bolt diameter.

Good Luck

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yup, no problem. Pretty sure our family 1958 Take-Along has one (owned since 1961).

Find an old style one. Don't use one you purchase at West Marine or similar. They just look horrible on an old boat.

Andreas
Mike J

Trailering a Take-Along

Post by Mike J »

Thanks everyone for your advise. I did find a cast eye bolt that will work. It looks old style.
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

No photos Mike??? I love to see the old Thompson row boats! :lol:
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Here are more pictures of my project. I will try to update as I progress. Comments welcome.

Mike

Last edited by Mike J on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Mike,

That boat looks in absolutely fantastic shape. You do not find many that good anymore.

Hope to see it at the Rally this June.

Good Luck,

Phill
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Thanks Mike. I love the look of natural wood on the sides, rather than paint or canvas. I'm still looking for mine at a price I can tolerate. No $2K-$3K row boats for me!!
Verne :roll: