New Cruisers owner

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

merrillo

New Cruisers owner

Post by merrillo »

In Feb. purchased the boat in back of warehouse,just got it last week. Because of cold spring nobody came to pickup there boats.
The hull number is (O 13005) which makes it a 61 Cruisers it is 16' 2-3" with beam of 73+ It was sold as 59 15' Cruisers. It has same seating as John Platou's. I don't know the difference between Seafarer & Holiday other than 1" in lenght. It has a 59 Johnson 50 hp,don't think is orig. Looking at it in dark warehouse thought it was water ready, but see a spot on keel that needs sealing, outside paint is peeling more than thought. I saw the deck bare of varnish,but do not see any other rot, so hoping it should restore to nice shape. Have 61 evanrude 75 hp that is being restored or 61 Johnson whichever one I get running. If weather gets better will try to get pics.

Merrill
61? 16' Cruisers ?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The hull ID would indicate either 1960 or 1961 model year. Depends upon that first character. Is it the letter "O" or the number "0"? I suspect that the first character is the letter "O", therefore the fist number is "1" which will make her a 1961 model.

I don't know if there were dimensional differences between 1960 and 1961 models. I have all my stuff packed away, so I cannot reference the CD or brochures.

The standard 1961 models all had vinyl covered decks. A band of stained and varnished wood was on the outer rim of the deck, otherwise the deck was vinyl clad. Stained and varnished for the entire deck was available.

Holiday model was more deluxe with factory standard crash padding around cockpit, instrument dash cluster, maybe upholstered seats. Same hull as the Seafarer.

Andreas
merrillo

Post by merrillo »

Sorry took so long to get pic. Had to learn how to use host sit hope it works.

Hull no. pic.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... ers10.png/

Boat pic.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/70 ... sers1.png/

All pics.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mohnemus

Also measured gunwale is 17' 7"
61? 16' Cruisers ?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Thanks for the pictures. They help.

It is NOT a Holiday model. It is the Seafarer.

I believe she is the 1960 model year boat. The 1961 models had vinyl covering on the deck.

Is there a metal Outbard Boating Club plate on the boat with maximum HP and weight capacity ratings? The 1960 Seafarer had maximum 80 HP and 1054 pounds weight. Same HP for 1961 but weight capacity is bumped up to 1300 pounds. Dimensions are the same for both years.

Andreas
john

Post by john »

My 1960 Cruiser's has serial number 0 12613 and has 75 hp max and 987 pouds cap. My second one is 0C 13363 C there is no cap plate, this is a very orginl boat with maybe 30 hours max! Both boats has varnished decks and 1960 titles, for all that counts for. My seat cushions match yours as to design and color.

The only difference is my second has a operable windshield and does not have the second seats.

My first 012613 came with an 1961 Johnson 75, with alt. My 0C 13363 C came with a 1959 35 ho Johnson. Both engines are almost certain orginal motors, (only one set of marks on transom).

Your question about the 59 50 Johnson, has a mounting system that was only used on the 1958 ad 1959 50, if it had a 75 or 40 or 35 the mounting scars would be different.

I beleive my first is in the system, I do not know about the second. It was sold here in Houston at Gibbs boats on West Gray, Houston Texas, was used a few years before the owner passed away and his wife kept in forever in their garage. May have never been repaited! Still has the orginal Gibbs water slide decal. The first spent it's life in Wisconsin.

I run a 1960 40 Evinrdue on mine as the fuel usage is about half of the 75 hp. The 50 engines were worst than the 75. If you are going to use your boat on a regualar basis, you may want to find a 40 or 35. Keep the 50 hp for show, gas economy is a major issue with these engines.

These boats do very well in really rough water and high winds, very smooth and dry.

I have not run my 75 for at least 6 years, keep it for show only!
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I just brought home one like this Saturday. It was given to me by someone who could not finish it. I will post some shots soon. Mine is supposed to be a 1959 with wooden windshield and varnished decks.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas