1962 18ft thompson & 1962 75hp johnson super sea-horse e

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi all, looking to clarify my recently purchase of a wooden thompson boat,
1962 model year or so i am told, the transom width is 6 feet wide and 20.5 inche's high from the bottom to where the motor mount's, there is 32 inche's of freeboard, the lenght is 19 feet from tip of bow light to the transom where the motor mount's, the beam at it's widest point is 81.5 inche's, the outboard is also a 1962 johnson 75hp super sea-horse model # 4 Val-14,serial # 2248877, the trailer is a dual axle mastercraft 1971 model # V-1800-T serial # 186662,

the plate on the transom starboard side read's:

THOMPSON BOAT CO.
OF NEW YORK INC
CORTLAND NEW YORK
SERIAL # 13978

thank you in advance for the correct model and year.

jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The motor appears to be a 1962 or 1963 model according to the charts at www.old-omc.de

It is difficult to say what year the boat is. The Cortland operation changed their hull ID/serial number system at least two times in the 1959-1962 time period.

You MIGHT have an Off-Shore model. If so, it is a 1961 or earlier model. They didn't offer it in the 1962 model year.

The 1962 model year boats nearest 19 foot length were the Sports Fisherman and Club Cruisette at 19'-7" centerline length. The Club Cruisette is a cabin cruiser. The Sports Fisherman is an open boat. It is very different in design and detailing than the previous models. It has very unique windshield frame and seating.

A picture will be extremenly helpful in attempting an identification. You have to upload the pic to somethng like photobucket.com and then download from there to this site. Cut and paste.

Andreas
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks andrea, i have some photos i will send, there is a full bench seat up front and a rear bench seat also, the windshield is half missing [winter damage] but i have it, there is a metal brace for center of windshield [not sure if this was a addon], there is original red cushions with the boat, it is definately at least 19 feet in lenght open floor plan.

thanks for your help
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

You can email photos directly to me if easier.

thompsonboat at msn.com

Andreas
59FLPAN

1962 19ft thompson, a wholly subsidiary of chris-craft corp

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi again andreas, i just found more information on my 1962 19ft offshore model thompson boat, thompson boat co. of new york inc is a wholly subsidiary of chris-craft corp of cortland new york after january 1962,
i believe i have this offshore model because the lenght is 19ft.

i want to know your opinion and if you recieved my emails with photos

have a great day
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Thanks Jeff for emailing photos to me. I beleive she is a 1961 model year or earlier and that she is the Off-Shore model. Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. at Cortland did NOT have the Off-Shore model in the 1962 product line.

Andreas
59FLPAN

1962 19ft thompson, a wholly subsidiary of chris-craft corp

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks andreas for your help, i've gone ahead and emailed jwarren @ the mariners museum, we will see what they have to say.

thanks again for your hard work and devotion

jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
59FLPAN

1961 19ft thompson offshore

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi andreas, recieved a email today from patti hinson, she found that my boat is in the thompson collection, there is a entry for hull # 13978, 10-16-61, sold to taylor marine, 19', she is going to mail me a copy of the ledger sheet and photocopies from a thompson advertising brochure. this is awsome news, i thank you also for your leads.

have a great day
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

This is great news. This indicates she was shipped 10-16-61. Interesting because this would be in the 1962 model year. The model year started in September. So, I suspect this was a "left over" 1961 model.

The brochures are on a CD-ROM which you can purchase at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com. It contains all the known brochures and price lists for the various Thompson marine firms. For Thompson of Peshtigo up to 1969. For Thompson of NY the wood boat brochures up to 1965. if I recall correctly.

Andreas
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks andreas, i tried to find the brochures but was not able to, is there a specific link to the catalogs/brochures?

thanks again
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks for the link andreas, i have a question about the replacing some other wood on the floor, there are a box shape frame around the ribs that appear to be in need of replacement, white oak is the wood to use i assume, is straight grain white oak what i should buy? what is the size of the wood? looks like a standard 2x4 construction to me, thanks for your help.

jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Use all heartwood. Do NOT have any sapwood in the pieces of wood (this applies to any wood species). It is NOT decay resistant. Yes, straight grain is best.

Use silicon bronze fasteners.

I have no clue what kind of box frame is in your boat's bilge. Replicating the original is the best way to proceed. Do you think this thing is factory original?

Andreas
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

as far as i know, the owner before the owner i bought the boat from tried some sloppy rib work that needs to be removed, i can send you a photo, maybe you can tell.

thanks
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi again andreas, i will take better photos next weekend of the bilge, i was also wondering if other wood can be used for structual purpose's? i have alot of old growth heart pine and tiger maple, would either of these woods be good for frame work in the bilge? also thinking of using either wood to customize the floor/decking versus using the original green press board/masonite, what would be best to use?

thanks for your time,
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson