Oppinions/Ideas on this boat?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

buguy

Oppinions/Ideas on this boat?

Post by buguy »

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bod/3846693010.html

Just curious if anyone recognizes what this Thompson is? I looked around and cant find any others with the sharp back side windows like this one has. Also can I get some feedback on if other feel this particular machine is worth the asking price given the information provided? Ive been looking at some other Chris Craft boats in the same price range and they are mostly in worse condition and dont run for the same mony. I am new into wooden boats by the way. I do work at a classic car restoration shop and have been doing that for many years. Although im sure very little actually transfers to wooden boats, but attention to detail and diving in and getting my hands dirty does. Thanks for any help.

Mike
LancerBoy

Re: Oppinions/Ideas on this boat?

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi,

My guess is that she is from the 1964 SPORTSMEN line of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. This was the low cost, entry level line of boats that Thompson introduced in 1964.

They came in centerline lengths: 14'-10"; 16'-0" and 17'-2" plus the 14'-0" Lap-Chine model. These models were the "plain Jane" line up, using less standard equipment and lower cost hardware.

The windshield frame looks like it came from the factory. It was different on these models compared to the "regular" models.

These models did not make it into the 1964 brochures. They did print a special flyer just for these boats.

Ask for the HULL ID stamped into the wood of the transom AND the SERIAL NUMBER on a metal builder's tag (hull ID and serial number are different). I can verify the year with this information.

My inclination is that this boat/motor/trailer rig is over priced.

Andreas
buguy

Re: Oppinions/Ideas on this boat?

Post by buguy »

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking it was a little overpriced as well. I have seen nicer ones with at least period correct engines for around $4000. But if she is seaworthy and I could get it for $500 or so less....maybe? Would be a decent entry level wood boat I guess. I was just trying to gather information before I drove there to see it. I may still go and have a look. See if I can work them on the price. Does appear to be a bare bones vessel.