questions about my new Thompson

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

docbjston

questions about my new Thompson

Post by docbjston »

My grandfather gave me a boat last weekend, and I'm just curious if you can tell me more about it. It's a 15' Thompson (per the title) and the title also says the hull number is 102150. The side logos say Thompson bros with the red bird, and has a tri-hull fiberglass body. The title says its a 1971.

The boat is overall in pretty good shape, but if I wanted to keep it as original as possible, where could I find the specs, and parts to put on it? It is overall pretty complete, I just need to clean it up real good. It has an Evenrude 80 outboard on it, and my grandfather says it runs really good. I know this website is more directed at wooden boats, but is there a website you know of for fiberglass Thompson owners? Looking on the internet it seems like there werent that many Thompson's made. It's really hard to find similar pictures to my boat, which seems strange because it seems to be very well built.

All the canvas, is pretty shot, does anyone know where I can get replacement canvas for it?

Thanks for your help.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome. This is the place for ANY Thompson boat no matter the hull material.

Send me some pictures and I'll try to help identify her: thompsonboat@msn.com

Thompson was the world's largest builder of outboard boats for many, many decades.

Go to any local canvas/upholstry shop to have them make new canvas. Keep all the old stuff to use as patterns.

Andreas
docbjston

Thanks pictures will come soon!

Post by docbjston »

it seems as if some of the canvas I have isn't the right size. I don't know if it just needs to sit out in the sun for awhile before it is stretched. My grandfather had the boat for the past 2 years and didn't really take care of it. How much does new canvas covers normally cost?
docbjston

Post by docbjston »

Here are some pictures

a j r

Post by a j r »

She looks like the 1971 Thompson Sea-Gull model GC-155. She is a tri-hull outboard with open bow and walk-thru windshield. 15'-4" centerline length, 16'-6" gunwale length, 74" beam, 70" transom width, rated for up to 80 HP.

Andreas