1965 20' cruisers inc.

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

joelsm65

1965 20' cruisers inc.

Post by joelsm65 »

i found a 1965 20' cruisers inc. boat for sale. i tried to find some info on the interenet, and im waiting to get pics from the guy selling it. he wasnt too helpful about it So i was wondering does anyone know what the model could be. it is not a cabin cruiser. its an outboard not sterndrive. vinyl deck. any specs on something like that would be helpful, i need to know what the weight is, or compared to something of its size. thanks for any help!
a j r

Post by a j r »

In 1965 Cruisers, Inc. has two boats considered 20 footers: Explorer Camper and Vacationer. Both were open boats (not cabin cruisers) with a centerline length of 20'-3". They were the exact same hull, just trimmed out differently. The Explorer Camper had a sink and refridgerator behind the front seats. Both were standard with vinyl decks and mahogany framed windshield. Both came in outboard or inboard/outboard versions.

The Vacationer outboard weighed 1,350 pounds (without motor of course) and the Explorer Camper weighed 1,450 pounds.

Andreas
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

thanks for your reponse andreas, i did get pictures, it looks decent, alot of work! im pretty sure it is a vacationer. what is max hp rating, and beam? what was the seating arrangement? this has just the bench seat for driver and passenger, was there a back seat? thanks for your time!
joel
a j r

Post by a j r »

Cruisers, Inc. Vacationer in 1965: centerline length 20'-3"; beam 8'; transom width at waterline 77"; maximum HP forf outboard 180; aft cockpit length 85"

Came standard with front seat with backrest lockers; footrest; dash bulkhead storage area; mahogany framed ventilated windshield; hull liners; vinyl covering decks and gunwales. NO mention of a rear seat as standard. There is an option for rear seat cushions but no mention of a rear seat!

All sorts of front seats were optional. White hull colour was standard but you could also get her in fisherman gray or tide green at no extra charge.

Andreas
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Joel, Can I presume you bought the boat. Congrats. I have a 1958 Cruiser Inc. Vacationer measuring 18'6". I also live in Naperville, maybe we should get together and have a cup of coffee and compare some thoughts. My boat does have a rear seat. I do not have the vinyl deck. Does anybody know when they started doing that? I am curious if my boat was stripped of this. Andreas, you seem to know these boats. What horsepower is my boat rated for?
Eric
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

no i didnt buy it yet, it is in michigan city,in. the trailer is junk the guy says, and i just bought a brand new 18ft boat trailer this winter, so i think it was ment to be!!! but i might just put the whole thing on a flat bed trailer and swap the trailers later. it's a big boat! but thats what im looking for, something for lake geneva. i took my thompson seamate out there last year and was tossed around like a rag doll. there are some storage details too! it might not happen
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hello Eric, the 1958 Cruisers, Inc. Vacationer model 502 is rated for up to 140 HP. Her centerline length is 18'-7" with gunwale length of 19'-8". The rear seat was an option, not a standard item on this model.

Cruisers, Inc. first applied vinyl to the decks of their boats in 1961.

Catalogs for Cruisers and Thompson are available for sale from Dan Miller at www.dragonflycanoe.com. Note that the CD-ROM does NOT include the 1965 catalogs (we didn't have them at teh time the CD was created).

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Eric, I know of a 20' Explorer for sale that has had a lot done to it but needed finishing in Kansas if it is still available. contact me
Dan 817 480-5205
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Dan Brunes

17' Cruisers Inc. For sale

Post by Dan Brunes »

If you are still interested in a cruisers inc. I have one i would like to sell, it is solid but needs motor work and some refinishing, it is a 17' outboard with the rear bench seat. the cushions are in good condition, motor needs a rebuild laminate on deck needs to be replaced... I am loosing my storage space so I will be picking it up in glenwood this weekend and moving it to jordan MN for the time being. all offers will be considered.

Thanks
Dan Brunes
dbrunes@aol.com