1957 Runabout or Other?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jdconnel

1957 Runabout or Other?

Post by jdconnel »

I recently purchsed this boat and the title is listed as a 15' 1957 Runabout.
I was hoping someone could help me identify based onthe photos.
I am looking forward to continuing its restoration, and getting as much infromation as I can from it.
I know from previous requests, you want the HULL-ID. I will work on getting numbers of the boat tommorow night.

Thanks,
James
a j r

Post by a j r »

What happened to the previous post and my reply???

Anyway, I earlier wrote that the hull looks like she's pre-1960. The deck trim, cockpit, and seating point towards a Thomboy or Sea Skiff Deluxe.

The hull ID, serial number, manufacturer and location, and measurements ARE necessary to determine the make, year, and model. Remember that the hull ID and serial number are two seperate codes for Peshtigo built boats.

Andreas
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

I tried to log in and found my user name and the posting removed.
So, I re-registered and typed it all in again... no idea.

I will get all the info tommorow when I pick the boat up.
I'm just trying to draft up the bill of sale for the previous owner to sign...
maybe he's right in assuming '57 then.

It has a Johnson Javlin 35 on it, which I know points towards 57-59, and that's the orginal motor from what he knows.
The trailer is original too, and looks to be 50's ish.

Thanks so far for the insight... more to follow.

-James
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

It's home!
Here's the info I was able to gather:
HULL ID: F71080 (and I think there's a O or a Q behind that)
from what I've learned, this means made by "F", whoever that was, and made in 1957, being #1080 in production. I assume the O or Q is the trimmer. If you can fill in the blanks, let me know. It was registered as a 15' 1958 Thompson.

Also, the front to the transom is 15'-0" (might be 2" more give or take)

It was previously registered, and the stickers have just expired. I just mailed the paperwork to get it all set.
The motor is a Johnson Javelin 35 (gold edition) and seems to be in great shape. I also got the original orners manual with the motor!
I took extra pictures of it in my garage. Found here:
http://people.msoe.edu/~connellj/Online ... index.html

I was told it rides well, with just a little bit of leakage in the rear until is swells up. I will look into this this winter before I give her a first time run.
Trailer needs bearings repacked but nothing scary. The "how to fix" section has guided me well so far.

Any additional info anyone has on year, model, capacity, ANYTHING would be most appreciated.
Also, a resale value of this boat. I want to make sure its properly placed on my insurance. I have no interested in selling, but I don't know how I will be able to wait till spring to give it its first run.

Thanks in advance.
-James
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi and thanks for the additonal data.

if she is a Peshtigo built boat, the hull ID "F 71080 _" indicates the 1,080th boat built (of all models in the year that ends with the number 7 (1947, 1957, or 1967). The "F" is the builder and the last letter is the trimmer.

The boat definately is NOT from 1967 - just by appearances. It also does not look like anything they made in 1947. That makes her a 1957 model year boat.

At 15'-2" centerline length this is one of the SEA COASTER models. The deck trim, deck between front and rear seat, and plastic wrap around windshield tell me she is "Model 477 Double Cockpit Coaster." This name was changed to Thomboy by 1959.

There are no capacity ratings listed in the 1957 catalog. In 1958 the same model was rated for up to 60 HP outboard motor and up to 1,200 pounds of weight.

In 1957 Model 477 came standard with crash padding around the cockpit, wrap around plastic windshield, bow and stern lights, chocks, cleats, and steering wheel. Snap in uphosltery was an extra for $85.00.

The price for the boat effective 01 October 1956 was $830.00.

Insurance value for the boat, trailer, and motor might be in the range of $5,000.00.

Brochures for Thompson et.al. are available for sale on a CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

Good luck.

Andreas
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Thanks so much!
Looks like the $900 I paid is more than fair. (since in '57 it was about that) Should afford me to make upgrades / restorations and get it by the wife.
Nice to know the padding (although re-done) would have been original.

If anyone has the information corresponding to the builder, or the trimmer, that would be great. I noticed some info about other letters, but nothing for "F".

I guess I'm off to the "how the pro's do it" section to get some pointers and start my winter project.

Thanks guys!
a j r

Post by a j r »

I only know of a few of these codes asigned to the workers. A = Bill Luedtke (1950-1971); U = Herbert Loberger (1954-1979); C = Jerry Melke

Of course they stopped using these codes on the fiberglass boats.

Andreas